Unable to update product key with KeyUpdateTool - please help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I recently bought a genuine product key for Win XP Pro SP2 through WGA, and got the key in an e-mail today. The key update tool, however, doesn't want to cooperate. It checks my files and allows me to enter/paste the new key, but then fails, with an error message along the lines of "The key could not be updated due to technical issues or connectivity trouble". This is the output from the diagnostic tool (the fake key is censored by me):

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****
    Windows Product Key Hash: zzLwhQIEIBraE7ZeJeNdbx/rODA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-9452834-23984
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 1290ccee-a9a7-4d24-b1c5-dc00e2a35d88
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-530-645

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>1290ccee-a9a7-4d24-b1c5-dc00e2a35d88</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XW9VW</PKey><PID>55274-640-9452834-23984</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-583907252-527237240-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20050921000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>BF103A5701844E66</HWID><UserLCID>0414</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>W. Europe Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Eibon,

If the Key Update Tool is not working for you, the only suggestion I can give is to wait for the WGA Kit Disk to arrive and re-install Windows using the WGA Product Key.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Eibon,

If the Key Update Tool is not working for you, the only suggestion I can give is to wait for the WGA Kit Disk to arrive and re-install Windows using the WGA Product Key.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:11 AM
  • Okay, thank you very much.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Eibon,

Is the utility reporting a 0x80004005 error?

The 0x80004005 error on the Key Updater Utility is almost always indicative of the computer not being able to fully communicate with MS servers.  The Key Updater has to have full access to the servers in order to validate about 6,000 files.  Misconfigured firewalls, antivirus programs, antispyware protective programs, and misconfigured ISP DNS servers have been known to cause the error you are seeing.

Please address these possibilities and try again.

If no joy, as Darin noted, you will have to wait until the genuine CD arrives in the mail, and then do a clean installation after backing up and offloading your data.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:05 PM
  • It isn't reporting an error number at all, as far as I can tell, just a pop up box with the following error message:

"The product key could not be updated on your computer. This may be due to technical difficulties or network connectivity issues.

Please contact Microsoft Support for additional assistance." (The last part is a link to http://support.microsoft.com/)

Is this the 0x80004005 error you're talking about? I've disabled the firewall, and bypassed the router I'm usually behind ( the computer has no antivirus installed).

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Eibon,

When there is a blocked communication issue the 0x80004005 error is normally displayed in a light gray color in the upper right corner of the screen.

Since you are not seeing this error being reported, then perhaps there is some other problem preventing the utility from doing its job.  It has been previously posted by Microsoft moderators that if there are too many "hacked and cracked" files on your nongenuine installation of XP, that small utility cannot be expected to perform miracles.

It looks like your situation is such that only a clean installation of XP using the forthcoming genuine XP CD will be able to set things straight.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:14 AM