KeyUpdatetool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, i was running an Illegal copy of windows for quite a while. Then i decided to purchase a legit windows xp. It worked the first time, with the help of KeyUpdateTool.exe. Then i decided to format my pc, so i inserted the CD and i got the installer blabla, then it asked me to fill in my serial key. so i filled in my serial key and it said the key was invalid. I still had my illegal key so i decided to fill that one in. Installation continued, now i got windows xp installed again, an illegal one. So i re-downloaded KeyUpdateTool.exe and i ran it, but when i enter my Serial it says "Serial already in use". but i format my pc so how can it be in use? Thanks.

Edit: Oh, i just noticed i posted in the wrong section. Could a moderator please move it to the right directory? Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:51 AM

Answers

• Shorty:

When you put in the product key, make sure you're using the correct CD that was shipped to you. CD's require certain types of product keys to be used with each other - which means the nonGenuine (probably Volume License) type CD can't be used with the WGA Kit (labeled as "retail") product key.

If you use the WGA Kit CD with the WGA Kit product key, you should be fine to install. Afterwards, you may have to telephone activate if you have changed your hardware.

I would not recommend using the nonGenuine copy of Windows with the Product Key Update tool - as its only a temporary solution until you recieve the WGA Kit CD.

-phil

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:36 PM
  • I got no cd shipped to me. I ran the WGA tool, it said my CD Key was invalid. Then it showed some option that i could buy Windows XP with a CreditCard. Then i decided to buy it anyways. After i purchased it i could see my License Key. Nothing was sent to me. I just updated it using KeyUpdateTool.exe, went smoothly. It's just that it gives problems now.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Shorty003,

Part of the process of purchasing the WGA Kit is being emailed a new, genuine Product Key that can be used with the Key Updater Utility once to "genuine-ize" a nongenuine installation of XP.

You ran into difficulty because you tried to use your new, genuine, retail product key that was emailed to you along with the nongenuine CD you had, most likely for XP Pro volume licensing.  The retail product key would not work with the volume CD, so you had to use the old, nonegnuine product key.

That got XP installed again, but then when you tried to "genuine-ize" it again, you got the message about it already being in use, because the genuine product key was already used its one time to "genuine-ize" the first nongenuine installation.

The other part of the WGA Kit purchase is that Microsoft will be sending you (2-3 weeks in most areas) a new genuine XP CDROM.  You will have to wait until that CDROM arrives before you can use the genuine product key again.  Be sure to back up and offload your data and then do the recommended clean installation of XP using the genuine XP CDROM and the new genuine product key.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Hello, isn't there some other way to do it? 3 weeks.. I purchased a Genuine XP and i want to use it now, not in 3 weeks. Thanks.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Shorty003,

Well, you already used it once......

If you have a buddy that has a genuine hologrammed full retail CD, you could use that and the new product key.

It's just a quirk of how the updater utility, the product key, and the MS activation servers work together.  The updater gets you going quickly, and the CD is actually the real solution, that's why the info you received by email "recommends" that you use the CD to do a clean installation of XP once you get the CD.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:54 PM

All replies

• Shorty:

When you put in the product key, make sure you're using the correct CD that was shipped to you. CD's require certain types of product keys to be used with each other - which means the nonGenuine (probably Volume License) type CD can't be used with the WGA Kit (labeled as "retail") product key.

If you use the WGA Kit CD with the WGA Kit product key, you should be fine to install. Afterwards, you may have to telephone activate if you have changed your hardware.

I would not recommend using the nonGenuine copy of Windows with the Product Key Update tool - as its only a temporary solution until you recieve the WGA Kit CD.

-phil

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:36 PM
  • I got no cd shipped to me. I ran the WGA tool, it said my CD Key was invalid. Then it showed some option that i could buy Windows XP with a CreditCard. Then i decided to buy it anyways. After i purchased it i could see my License Key. Nothing was sent to me. I just updated it using KeyUpdateTool.exe, went smoothly. It's just that it gives problems now.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Shorty003,

Part of the process of purchasing the WGA Kit is being emailed a new, genuine Product Key that can be used with the Key Updater Utility once to "genuine-ize" a nongenuine installation of XP.

You ran into difficulty because you tried to use your new, genuine, retail product key that was emailed to you along with the nongenuine CD you had, most likely for XP Pro volume licensing.  The retail product key would not work with the volume CD, so you had to use the old, nonegnuine product key.

That got XP installed again, but then when you tried to "genuine-ize" it again, you got the message about it already being in use, because the genuine product key was already used its one time to "genuine-ize" the first nongenuine installation.

The other part of the WGA Kit purchase is that Microsoft will be sending you (2-3 weeks in most areas) a new genuine XP CDROM.  You will have to wait until that CDROM arrives before you can use the genuine product key again.  Be sure to back up and offload your data and then do the recommended clean installation of XP using the genuine XP CDROM and the new genuine product key.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Hello, isn't there some other way to do it? 3 weeks.. I purchased a Genuine XP and i want to use it now, not in 3 weeks. Thanks.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Shorty003,

Well, you already used it once......

If you have a buddy that has a genuine hologrammed full retail CD, you could use that and the new product key.

It's just a quirk of how the updater utility, the product key, and the MS activation servers work together.  The updater gets you going quickly, and the CD is actually the real solution, that's why the info you received by email "recommends" that you use the CD to do a clean installation of XP once you get the CD.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:54 PM
  •  Shorty003 wrote:
    I got no cd shipped to me. I ran the WGA tool, it said my CD Key was invalid. Then it showed some option that i could buy Windows XP with a CreditCard. Then i decided to buy it anyways. After i purchased it i could see my License Key. Nothing was sent to me. I just updated it using KeyUpdateTool.exe, went smoothly. It's just that it gives problems now.

Please contact the shipping department to find out where your CD is. It should be at your house by now Smile.

www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx.

-phil

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:15 PM
  • KeyUpdateTool.exe

Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:01 AM

• if you getting serial key already in use try to contact 1-800-MICROSOFT and ask them to generate a new product key for you.And they wll give you another product key and use that product key to update it, it might work. IF it does not then there is no other option you will have to wait for the disk which should have been shipped by microsoft.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 4:28 PM