System File showing 394GB in Console RRS feed

• Question

• My server had a disk error and I ran the checkdisk function.  In the WHS console, the system portion of the pie reports a size of 394GB.

That doesn't seem correct.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 9:52 PM

Answers

• Probably you have a failing hard drive. Since you already had one round of disk errors, the drive is likely in poor shape. See this FAQ for some information about your risks in this situation.

Best bet: shut your server down, remove drives one at a time, connect to another computer and run chkdsk /r on all drives. That should identify the failing drive. Then boot your server without the failing drive in place. Open the console and remove the "missing" drive. You may be warned that you will lose files and/or backups; you should accept those warnings and proceed with the drive removal.

If you were warned that you would lose backups, run a backup database repair. If you were warned that you would lose files, connect that failing drive to a PC and copy any files you can from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. (Note: this is a hidden folder.) Also look for folders in the root of the drive other than <driveletter>:\DE and <driveletter>:\System Volume Information . Those folders, if any exist, may also contain recovered files. If so, copy them back to your server's shares as well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Mizark M Monday, September 27, 2010 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:25 PM

All replies

• My server had a disk error and I ran the checkdisk function.  In the WHS console, the system portion of the pie reports a size of 394GB.

That doesn't seem correct.

The SYSTEM portion is the "catch-all" for any data outside of shares, duplication, and the backup database.  First, did you try rebooting the server?  Second, do you have any applications installed which could be saving data outside the scope of WHS?
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Did you also have a large number of files go missing since the disk error? Have you had file access issues?
    Monday, April 5, 2010 2:17 AM
  • There are no programs installed outside of the WHS console.  I only have Whiist, Avast, and Lights Out installed as add ons.  I am not aware of any file access issues.  These 2 WD15EADS are new drives I recieved back from RMA last month from WD.  I tried the first batch last year and they apparently have issues in server applications.  Something to do with the way the drive works with the green technology.  They seem to be going bad again already.

I read something on shadow volumes and saw posts from both of you.  Could that be an issue?

Monday, April 5, 2010 2:51 AM
  • There are no programs installed outside of the WHS console.  I only have Whiist, Avast, and Lights Out installed as add ons.  I am not aware of any file access issues.  These 2 WD15EADS are new drives I recieved back from RMA last month from WD.  I tried the first batch last year and they apparently have issues in server applications.  Something to do with the way the drive works with the green technology.  They seem to be going bad again already.

I read something on shadow volumes and saw posts from both of you.  Could that be an issue?

While Shadow Copies will definitely show up as SYSTEM, it will only happen if A) you have your own OEM DVD (not a pre-built server), B) your OEM DVD is pre-Power Pack 1 and C) you never manually disabled Shadows yourself.  (And even if all of that is true, 374 GB of Shadow Copies seems awfully high.)  However, you can check to see if it is Shadow Copies by logging into the server desktop (which, for the record, is unsupported), click Start > My Computer > right click on either drive > select Properties > Shadow Copies tab.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 5:31 AM
  • While you are there on the desktop - open My Computer and have a look in D: to see if there are any folders or files in there that shouldn't be present.
    --
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Now I am getting a file error where one file is not found.  The server is spontaneously restarting as well.

Do I try system recovery from the disks?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Probably you have a failing hard drive. Since you already had one round of disk errors, the drive is likely in poor shape. See this FAQ for some information about your risks in this situation.

Best bet: shut your server down, remove drives one at a time, connect to another computer and run chkdsk /r on all drives. That should identify the failing drive. Then boot your server without the failing drive in place. Open the console and remove the "missing" drive. You may be warned that you will lose files and/or backups; you should accept those warnings and proceed with the drive removal.

If you were warned that you would lose backups, run a backup database repair. If you were warned that you would lose files, connect that failing drive to a PC and copy any files you can from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. (Note: this is a hidden folder.) Also look for folders in the root of the drive other than <driveletter>:\DE and <driveletter>:\System Volume Information . Those folders, if any exist, may also contain recovered files. If so, copy them back to your server's shares as well.

• Marked as answer by Mizark M Monday, September 27, 2010 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:25 PM
  • I backed up the server to a eSATA external box.  I am thinking of just returning the drives again and getting a different kind since this is the second round of failures.  Any suggestions on 1.5TB drives that work well in WHS?  The WD green drives are apparently not suitable for this setup.
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:15 PM