WebDAV support? RRS feed

• Question

• How difficult would it be to add WebDAV support to WHS?  While it is nice that I can access the files on my WHS via CIFS on my local network and I can use the web page to upload/download files remotely, it would be very nice to be able to use WebDAV to mount the directory of choice over https from anywhere in the world.

Is this doable, or has it already been implemented?

Thanks!

Monday, March 19, 2007 1:46 PM

Answers

• WebDAV is supported by IIS, so I'm sure it's doable. I don't think there's any plan to include it, however.

There's a lot of documentation on the Microsoft web site about configuring WebDAV; I would take a look and see how difficult it might be to implement yourself.

One thing you should be conscious of: you should not access files on drives in the storage pool (D: and drives named DATA) using the file system. Only access those files using the network shares.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 4:14 PM

All replies

• WebDAV is supported by IIS, so I'm sure it's doable. I don't think there's any plan to include it, however.

There's a lot of documentation on the Microsoft web site about configuring WebDAV; I would take a look and see how difficult it might be to implement yourself.

One thing you should be conscious of: you should not access files on drives in the storage pool (D: and drives named DATA) using the file system. Only access those files using the network shares.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 4:14 PM
  • You could setup another web site in IIS and make the home folder \\SERVER.  That would address Ken's concerns and allow you access to all of your shares properly.  We have webdav setup at work and for the most part it works, but it has it's fits at times.  We're actually looking for a front-end, like what is included in WHS, to make it easier on our users.  I'm sure as the product progresses, the web pieces will be improved.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:31 PM
  •  Doug Deitterick wrote:

You could setup another web site in IIS and make the home folder \\SERVER.  That would address Ken's concerns and allow you access to all of your shares properly.  We have webdav setup at work and for the most part it works, but it has it's fits at times.  We're actually looking for a front-end, like what is included in WHS, to make it easier on our users.  I'm sure as the product progresses, the web pieces will be improved.

Ok, setting up a new web site is not the problem, but how to connect it to \\SERVER? It's not a path, neither a file. I have to define a path and a folder. So, what to do?

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:18 PM