Defragmentation Add ins? RRS feed

• Question

• Just wanted to get peoples views on these as there are a few floating about now Diskeeper 10 WHS and Perfectdisk WHS, has anyone installed any, any good? worth the money etc?
    I would have thought that WHS drives can get quite fragged
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:44 PM

Answers

• Files become fragmented when the disk is repeatedly written, rewritten, etc. and files are added and deleted constantly. Just reading a file won't fragment it, and if it's written once and never again, the initial level of fragmentation is all it will ever see.

The reasons I don't use or recommend defragmenting utilities:
    • They hit the disk pretty hard when they are actively defragmenting a disk. They generate more disk wear (though it's still pretty minimal) than just reading the fragmented file over and over again would.
    • The vendors make tremendous promises concerning improved performance. Those promises are based on artificial test scenarios; real world testing shows that the average user will never see more than a minimal performance improvement. The only benefit most people will see is slightly improved sequential reads of very large files, something that most people do very infrequently.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tiberium Friday, February 5, 2010 11:51 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:58 PM

All replies

• I personally don't use, or recommend the use of, disk defragmenting utilities.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Ken, I came to the same conclusion. I am using my WHS for auto back up of the workstations in my home based office. I do not see a need to defrag drivs that do not run that much. Do yoou agree?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 12:59 AM
  • On a forum that I moderate on I tell people the same that defrags are unnecessary, but on a WHS I would have thought there would be a benefit as it houses so much data and so many different PCs accessing it all the time, surely a defragmentation program would help in this situation.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Files become fragmented when the disk is repeatedly written, rewritten, etc. and files are added and deleted constantly. Just reading a file won't fragment it, and if it's written once and never again, the initial level of fragmentation is all it will ever see.

The reasons I don't use or recommend defragmenting utilities:
    • They hit the disk pretty hard when they are actively defragmenting a disk. They generate more disk wear (though it's still pretty minimal) than just reading the fragmented file over and over again would.
    • The vendors make tremendous promises concerning improved performance. Those promises are based on artificial test scenarios; real world testing shows that the average user will never see more than a minimal performance improvement. The only benefit most people will see is slightly improved sequential reads of very large files, something that most people do very infrequently.

• Marked as answer by Tiberium Friday, February 5, 2010 11:51 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:58 PM