Is HDView dead? RRS feed

• Question

• I know Microsoft is killing off Silverlight eventually, but I had hoped that HDView would survive a while longer.  But trying to load an HDView site in 64 bit Chrome now fails completely, there is no suitable viewer available.  I can still manually load them in IE, at least for the moment, but it makes it complex to share images with other people if I have to instruct them to use a special web browser.  

Going forward is there any plan to fix HDView to work with modern browsers, or should I be figuring out an alternative?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:13 PM

All replies

• If you have been using the Google Chrome browser that during the installation of third-party add-ons have been disabled (eg Java, HDView, Silverligh ..etc). Extensions must enable the following to copy the url box “chrome://flags/#enable-npapi” then click on the authorization prior to restart your browser!

Sorry Google Tarnslate!

• Edited by idanka Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:57 AM
  • I find this really funny: I created a deep zoom as a test and tried to open in Chrome which didn't work. So I thought hey Microsoft has been pushing their new Edge browser, I'll try that. I open in Edge and it says: 

Sorry, but Silverlight is not supported on this browser (Microsoft Edge).

Silverlight works on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Flock, Netscape, Opera, Chrome, and Safari.

What is Silverlight?

I just don't understand Microsoft, they keep pushing us to abandon their own products. I love the ICE software for stitching though!

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:04 PM
  • Now, in 2017, NPAPI is removed from all modern browsers I know. And Microsoft even removed the old nice HD View page (last relevant snapshot is from 2017-01-18). So, HD View is dead. That's a pity.

For now, it looks like the best option is to install Firefox "52.x.x esr" - it looks like this version is specially designed for this purpose, they call it "Non-flash plugins re-enabled (disabled in the regular 52.0 release)". 
    • Edited by i3v Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:01 AM added links
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:00 AM