My Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I Have two problems! One: I keep get this msg to locate my network

ether home or work. I am not in a network!

Two: I have a 600 megabyte external hard drive I'd like to use to back

up but it keeps asking for its name and I haven't a clue.

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:43 PM

Answers

• You are connected to the Internet, therefore you are on a network. If your PC is directly connected to the Internet through dial-up modem or attached to a DSL or Cable modem, select Public as the network. If your PC is connecting through a router, then select Home or Work, if that router is yours.

If the external drive is attached directly to your computer, there is no name to select, unless you have not yet formatted the drive. You should be able to select the drive from the list during configuration. If that isn't available, please tell us more about the drive and configuration or contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I'm moving your post to the Backup topic folder here.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:40 PM

All replies

• You are connected to the Internet, therefore you are on a network. If your PC is directly connected to the Internet through dial-up modem or attached to a DSL or Cable modem, select Public as the network. If your PC is connecting through a router, then select Home or Work, if that router is yours.

If the external drive is attached directly to your computer, there is no name to select, unless you have not yet formatted the drive. You should be able to select the drive from the list during configuration. If that isn't available, please tell us more about the drive and configuration or contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I'm moving your post to the Backup topic folder here.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:40 PM
  • I have a Western Digital external hard drive it is connected to my computor directly. on my desktop is an Icon that says

WD Backup. This drive is formated to Fat 32. when I went thru the set up for automatic backup for Windows Live One Care it ask for the drives name. I tried everything I could think of at the time and have even gone back and tried at a later date. No results. Windows Live One Care ask that it be formated to another format but said it will work with fat32. So I decided to live with it. Now My coputor has not been backed up in some time an to back it up will require 11 Disc'.

Then, Windows One Care discovers that I'm on this so called local net which you have advise is refering to the internet. With this discovery, I get this pop up that says I'm on a net and in order to set up the fire wall I must chose between

which type of net I'm on, Home or Business since I believed that I was not connected to a net I ignored the Msg and X'ed it out. After several times of repeating this it (WLC) would no longer let me do my thing without giving an answer. SOOO

I chose HOME. So now what do I do? The only saving grace is that My decision is not backed up

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Wallace L., sorry for the late reply.

First of all, let's go back to the network/firewall issue. If your computer is directly connected to the Internet through a dial-up modem or connected directly to a cable/DSL modem and you do not have a router, then please change your firewall settings to be Public for the network. You can do this by opening OneCare, clicking on change settings, Firewall tab, configure network.

For your external drive, the icon on your desktop is for the backup software installed when you hooked up the WD drive. That isn't the drive "name." In Windows Explorer, this drive has a Letter - perhaps it is D: or E: or F: Whatever it is, if it is available for backup to OneCare, it will appear in the list when you configure OneCare backup. If your other backup software has control of the drive, OneCare cannot see it or use it. If you need help with configuring backup, please contact support.

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Thanks Stephen! Problems are solved! Have a grand day!!!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:29 PM