Restore Wizard failed to refresh error RRS feed

• Question

•  
    Help, 
    when I do a system restore of my Fjitsu Laptop it goes fine all the way to the end and I get a Restore Wizard failed to refresh error at the end. It says that the server may be an older ver than the CD or my WHS could be damaged and will try to do a backup from and older backup ver.
    I have never had problems in the past but that was pre PP1. I am running WHS ver 6.0.1800.0 with PP1 ver KB944289 and the Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD (Dual Boot) from msi dated 07/12/2008
    this is from the event log: Restore of N6460 C:\MININT-7J839NB has failed if I follow the link
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp it says no results and lists the Windows OS; ver 6.0.1800.0; event ID :266; event source: Hom Server; File name: whslogmsg.dll.
    Is it possible that the whslogmsg.dll is corrupt or missing? What happens if I delete this file?

Also the laptop that I am Trying to restore is Running Vista Ult w SP1

I think I may have the wrong ISO, the most recent I could find is dated 7/12/2008
    Thanks,
    Jimi

Computers don't save time they just reallocate how we spend it.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:25 PM

Answers

• Jimi,

First, take the lime off your cat's head. I think it's been there long enough. :) Or is it some small melon or something?

Once that's taken care of, as a practical matter you may want to just connect the disk you're targeting to a different client PC and run the program

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

That will hopefully let you complete the restore.

But please also submit a bug report on Connect. You'll need to send server logs (collected using the toolkit) as well. Include as much information as possible as to the exact circumstances of your problem. It probably wouldn't hurt to include a readable photo of the error message.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 7:48 PM

All replies

• I'm interested is this also. I get the same error every time I try to restore Windows Server 2008 - but that OS is not supported by WHS.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:28 PM
  • This is the most current version of the Restore CD. It's dated 7/21/2008; I assume that's what you meant. :)
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:49 PM
  • Ken,
    Thank You. And thank you for always being ther when someone needs help. I downloaded the .msi file from this link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID+109282 (this link appears in the software folder after PP1 is installed) and if you look in the properties of this file the time stamp is Sat July 12th at 11:59:37PM That was what I was going by. So yes I have the latest ISO. But that doesn't solve my problem. I did have each ver of PP1 as they were released beta thu pp1 RC3 and now the final ver 6.0.1800.0 from Windows update. Uninstalling each current ver first.  So now what?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Jimi,

First, take the lime off your cat's head. I think it's been there long enough. :) Or is it some small melon or something?

Once that's taken care of, as a practical matter you may want to just connect the disk you're targeting to a different client PC and run the program

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

That will hopefully let you complete the restore.

But please also submit a bug report on Connect. You'll need to send server logs (collected using the toolkit) as well. Include as much information as possible as to the exact circumstances of your problem. It probably wouldn't hurt to include a readable photo of the error message.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Ken,
    I tested WHS restore with another system. And all went as it was supposed to and restore was completed succesfully. Again it was a fujitsu laptop but the OS was XPP not Vista Ultimate. I will run the restore on the problem laptop again but this time will attempt to restore the Hard drive with XXP on it. The laptop I was having problems restoring has two hard drives one with Vista Ult and the other with XPP. I want to see if the prblem is with Vista or the laptop. All of my systems run XP exccept this one laptop that has duel HD's running Vista on one and XPP on the other.
    For the most part I still shy away from Using Vista on any of my mission critical systems and only use Vista to test apps with.
    I still don't trust fully Vista.
    After that I will try your sugestion of pulling the drive and adding it to another system and try restore from there.
    Iwill let you know the results after I try.
    Thanks,
    Jimi
    PS: It is a lime and I like it because it is silly! But let me assure you that no cats were abused here only the lime was.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Ken,

I tried your suggestion and moved the drive to another system and that worked. It seemed to be an incompatbility with the Fujisu N series 6460 Laptop.

Thank You

Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:46 AM
  • I had the same event causing my restores to fail on an HP dv9543cl laptop.  I moved the drives to a desktop and i was still unable to restore.  (same event).  Any help would be appreciated.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Are you using the newest version of the restore cd?
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 9:25 AM