crm 2013 the organisation selected for import is a different version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to import a 2011 database into a new 2013 deployment and get "the organisation selected for import is a different version" error message.

I have ensured that the 2011 server has rollup 16 installed.  Do I need to ensure that the 2013 server has anything specific installed? 

Also, I have SQL 2008 R2 on the 2011 server and SQL 2012 on the new 2013 server; I think I read somewhere that you cant do that, i.e. that I'd need to use SQL 2008 R2 on the new server as well.  Can anyone confirm or deny that part?

Thanks

Craig

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:04 PM

Answers

• All fixed. Problem, would you adam-and-eve it, was that I was that the backup that was being imported really did have the old rollup assigned. I backed up again, deleted the database, and reimported and all worked fine.

thanks all.

• Marked as answer by CraigJW Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:39 PM

All replies

• That's not an 'error', that is the expected message because the database version (2011) is different than the system (2013).

It should say that the version you are importing is different, so would you like it to be upgraded. Can you provide the exact text of the message you see, or better yet, a screenshot?

I can't speak definitively to the different SQL versions, but that is not an issue I have come across (and I am pretty sure I have done the same as your scenario, in a lab). If the database restore works and deployment manager can see the restored database, I don't think this is the issue.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Hi Adam,

Exact error is "The organization database selected for import is a different version than the organization database that is currently deployed".

This is shown during the "System Checks" phase, in the "Microsoft SQL Server" section.

Thanks,

Craig

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Update- I notice that when doing the import it actually creates 2 databases, one has a long alphanumeric name that can't be used and the other has the correct details. Could this be a problem? Thanks Craig
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:27 AM
  • Does the CRM 2013 Deployment Manager log give any more information, such as the versions it is detecting ?

Although the source deployment may have UR16, it may be that the organisation database wasn't upgraded to UR16. In CRM 2011 Deployment Manager, is there an option to Upgrade the organisation database - this would upgrade it to UR16

I think the database with the long alphanumeric name is part of the normal process

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Hi - CRM 2011 deployment manager says that no update is available, so presumably its on the latest rollup.  Where can I find the log?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:26 AM
  • I found the log in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\microsoft\mscrm\logs in crm5dmsnapin.log,  its showing as version 5.0.9690.3911.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:32 AM
  • All fixed. Problem, would you adam-and-eve it, was that I was that the backup that was being imported really did have the old rollup assigned. I backed up again, deleted the database, and reimported and all worked fine.

thanks all.

• Marked as answer by CraigJW Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:39 PM