none
Is my WHS a "workgroup and domain controller"? RRS feed

• Question

•  I have been exploring some different server functions and I have found that a server can act as a "workgroup and domain controller".  Is my WHS acting in this particular role?  Could it?  What about "supporting roaming profiles"?  Is it doing that, or does it have the potential for doing that?  That sounds exciting, I'd like to be able to check in to any of my LAN Windows machines with the same user.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry, no WHS while based on Server 2003 doesn't have that facility, it's specifically disabled. I guess to stop people using WHS as a cheap version of SBS.
    If you try to enable it, (which you can do), then the server will shut down approx every hour until you disable it. Even then, it's possible that enough errors could have arisen, that a new installation will be required.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by pksky Friday, November 21, 2008 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Hi,
    you should also read the EULA which came with your Windows Home Server. This includes some restrictions on which functions you are allowed to used and in what manner.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry, no WHS while based on Server 2003 doesn't have that facility, it's specifically disabled. I guess to stop people using WHS as a cheap version of SBS.
    If you try to enable it, (which you can do), then the server will shut down approx every hour until you disable it. Even then, it's possible that enough errors could have arisen, that a new installation will be required.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Hi,
    you should also read the EULA which came with your Windows Home Server. This includes some restrictions on which functions you are allowed to used and in what manner.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Restrictions on this are fair, I think.  Meanwhile, there is always Linux to play with.  For those who wish to pursue the idea further and have been badly scarred by the experiences with Fedora or Ubuntu or the rest, try SME Server.  Apparently it has this potential, but I haven't looked into it beyond this thread.

Thanks to all who responded.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 9:19 PM