Backup cannot start. Onecare is initializing. RRS feed

• Question

• After I was automatically upgraded to OC version 2.0.2500.12 my status became Fair and when I click on "Review backup plan" I get the message "Backup cannot start. Onecare is initializing. Please try again later"

I get the same message if I click on Change settings > Backup tab > Configure backup

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm on a home laptop, not connected to any other computers. I'm running Vista and I have a wireless broadband modem. After the OC upgrade was installed I set my laptop to be the hub PC.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:22 PM

Answers

• HossBud, I'm glad to read that the problem went away for you. I am unhappy with the number of issues that have been uncovered with the 2.0 upgrade despite extensive testing both internal and external before the release. The problem is that a representative sampling of the customer base for testing still can't account for all of the infinite variations that exist of hardware and software that co-exists with OneCare.

Now, the bad news/good news is that the cause of the problem has been identified, according to the Backup Program Manager for OneCare, and a solution is being developed, but I have no idea when it will be ready and don't know the details of the cause at this time - for those of you experiencing the problem.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:27 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same problem, I tried a restart as well, with no change.  I have been waiting for about an hour for this to remedy itself "initialize" or whatever it wants to do.

My previous install had backup disabled, and now I'm being treated like an idiot once again by this program and have the "yellow" status because the program wants me to configure something I have already specified.  Ridiculous.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:45 PM
  • Sad to say, the same thing is happeneing everywhere... with no help in sight.  Yet.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Please contact support on this issue. I don't think I can agree that the problem is happening "everywhere" Mike. These are the first two posts I have read specifically with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Hi Moderator, this problem is happening almost everywhere. If that's the right way to say it! We've installed OneCare in our office to about 20 computers and we are all getting the same message. We've all got Vista Ultimate installed. I can say the problem is happening everywhere here in my office. I don't know about everywhere else.

I'm here looking for a solution. Is there any?

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I have not heard any news on this issue. Have you contacted support about it? I'll contact the OneCare Backup Program Manager.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:38 AM
  •  

OK, I do not have the problem anymore.  I have rebooted about 5 times since then and OneCare seems to have sorted itself out.  I just find it insane that this program is being launched with these kinds of issues.  I and many other users I've spoken to are really getting sick of beta testing everything for Microsoft after we payed for it.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:01 AM
  • HossBud, I'm glad to read that the problem went away for you. I am unhappy with the number of issues that have been uncovered with the 2.0 upgrade despite extensive testing both internal and external before the release. The problem is that a representative sampling of the customer base for testing still can't account for all of the infinite variations that exist of hardware and software that co-exists with OneCare.

Now, the bad news/good news is that the cause of the problem has been identified, according to the Backup Program Manager for OneCare, and a solution is being developed, but I have no idea when it will be ready and don't know the details of the cause at this time - for those of you experiencing the problem.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:27 PM
  •  

No,  haven't contacted Microsoft support yet. I guess I will give them a call as well and see what they tell me about this. I hope I get an answer to fix this frustrating issue.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:14 PM
  •  MyMSDN_stuff wrote:

No,  haven't contacted Microsoft support yet. I guess I will give them a call as well and see what they tell me about this. I hope I get an answer to fix this frustrating issue.

I trust that you've read my response to HossBud just above your post. I'm not sure that support can help, but at least we know that the OneCare backup team is working to resolve the problem and provide a fix.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Yea, I just read your response. I contacted support and you are right they were not able to help me. I guess I'll wait for some kind of fix or patch sometime from the OneCare backup team.

Thanks Steve.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:43 PM
  •  MyMSDN_stuff wrote:

Yea, I just read your response. I contacted support and you are right they were not able to help me. I guess I'll wait for some kind of fix or patch sometime from the OneCare backup team.

Thanks Steve.

The Backup Program Manager has asked if anyone experiencing this issue can provide the support log files. See this post on how to create the zip file. http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2512403&SiteID=2

Attach the zip file to an email address to wloc@live.com with a subject line of "OneCare Backup Initializing"

Include a link to this thread in the message body and indicate if you are willing to be contacted by Microsoft, if needed.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:42 PM