none
When a backup starts, it immediately crashes WinXP RRS feed

• Question

• Everything was working fine until I changed the partition on my son's computer.  The OS partition was too small, so I imaged the drive using Acronis, changed the partition sizes, then restored the image to the now larger partition.  Now, when a backup starts, it blue screens the computer so hard it doesn't even halt, it immediately reboots.  I see the blue screen flash but it happens so fast I can't see what is causing the crash.  There are no issues with the computer.  Everything runs fine.

Running WinXP Pro SP3, all updates, AVG antivirus, essentially no software, just a couple games.

Help is appreciated!

-Matt
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:13 AM

Answers

• To get a chance to view the blue screen:
    • Right click My Computer, select Properties.
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    • Put a check mark next to Write an event to the system log , and/or remove the check mark next to Automatically restart .
    That said, probably your use of the imaging tool (Acronis) is the reason you're having a problem. Microsoft doesn't support the use of disk imaging tools for changing partition sizes, I'm afraid, and doing so has been known to cause problems with Windows Home Server in the past. How to fix it? You could try reconfiguring backups on the computer you've re-imaged. If that doesn't work, you could try simply installing a larger disk, then using the disk partitioning tools the restore CD makes available to create your partitions from scratch. Note that you will need to restore to partitions that are at least as large as the original partitions.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:34 PM
  • The solution to this was a reformat and reinstall.  Oh well!
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:12 AM

All replies

• To get a chance to view the blue screen:
    • Right click My Computer, select Properties.
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    • Put a check mark next to Write an event to the system log , and/or remove the check mark next to Automatically restart .
    That said, probably your use of the imaging tool (Acronis) is the reason you're having a problem. Microsoft doesn't support the use of disk imaging tools for changing partition sizes, I'm afraid, and doing so has been known to cause problems with Windows Home Server in the past. How to fix it? You could try reconfiguring backups on the computer you've re-imaged. If that doesn't work, you could try simply installing a larger disk, then using the disk partitioning tools the restore CD makes available to create your partitions from scratch. Note that you will need to restore to partitions that are at least as large as the original partitions.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion on the event log.  I'll do that.

I've used Ghost for years, perhaps Acronis isn't as robust.  I find it somewhat troubling that WHS can't handle a change in partition size but I guess being aware of the cluster-by-cluster backup mechanism it seems to make sense.

I tried to remove the computer from the "pool" and add it back again but no joy.  I'll try to get that event log working and report back.  Thanks for the help.

-Matt
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Please check the event log of your client. If you find any errors and warnings around VSS (Volume Shadow Services) or COM/DCOM, they may point you to the cause of the crash.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:25 AM
  • If you ever need to change the partition size again, I would suggest using http://www.partitionwizard.com/ as it's very simple to use, and it's free for home AND business users.
    Also works great with win 7 64 bit, and moving partitions around etc which is not that easy with other programs. I've used it a couple of times and never lost any data at all, however a backup before doing anything risky like this is always a good thing.

(Please note, this is on client computers, not on the whs!)

Monday, January 4, 2010 10:01 AM
  • I have an almost identical configuration and crashes when a backup starts

Win XP sp3
    AVG Free
    Acronis Home 2010
    Quickbooks Pro
    Old PC DOS Clipper DB program

It crashes and does not write a dump even though that is enabled.

Monday, January 18, 2010 6:41 AM
  • The solution to this was a reformat and reinstall.  Oh well!
    • Marked as answer by Matt Greer Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:12 AM