*FIX FOUND* for An unexpected error has occurred communicating with the Windows Live Domain service 80000190 RRS feed

• General discussion

• After replacing and reloading my WHS v1 I was getting the above mentioned error and not getting any help with figuring it out from the internet. I called on some support friends I have with Microsoft and was told to do the following, as they stop WHS from completing the domain setup. I have re-installed WHS 3 times over the last week trying to fight this error thinking something went wrong in the installation routine.

• Proper date and time. WHS checks to make sure your computer time is set correctly for the Time Zone you have selected. Since WHS 2003 defaults to Pacific time, if you adjusted the clock and didn't change the time zone, this will cause a failure. (this has been covered by other people and I checked)

• Go to the WHS Console. and turn OFF Remote access in the console. Go to the Services panel and make sure that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is started and also set to AUTOMATIC. It was also suggested that I start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service and have it set to automatic as well. Reboot, log back in, turn ON Remote Access in the WHS Console 

• Here's the zinger, this is what's most likely got most of us unable to complete the domain url configuration. All High Priority updates for your current power pack MUST be installed. Login to your server via the Home Server Console, and go to settings/general/ Update Now (preferred method),or chose to RDC/physically  login and go to the windows update site choose CUSTOM, getting only the "High Priority" updates and keep hammering away until you go back and it says (0) You can go there and it might show only one left, but download, install, reboot and go back. Another will show up, as some updates are hidden until their prerequisites are installed. This process will take a couple of hours (and many lots of rebooting) depending on network speed and hardware configuration. Again keep going back and updating until you see it the console say "There are no updates available for Windows Home Server or Windows update shows "High Priority updates  (0)" If you let WHS v1 update on it's own from a fresh install it would take a week plus for it to automatically download and install the 150+ updates that are currently available. Sadly Microsoft hasn't rolled any of them up into bigger updates nor into the power packs 

As of writing this along with Power Pack 3 the latest update is Update for Windows Home Server (KB981089) . This update didn't show up for me until I had updated several times. Microsoft has intentionally blocked domains from being configured until this update is installed when Power Pack 3 is installed because of the following issue which is addressed in the update: 

Issue 8
      The Remote Access website may be vulnerable to cross-site request forgery attacks.

• Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:51 AM Not a question...
    • Edited by Clay Gravil Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:01 AM added preferred method of using WHS Console to update
    • Changed type Clay Gravil Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:02 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:35 PM

All replies

• Good catch on number three.  I had always let WHS finish updating before setting anything else up.  However, I would recommend using the WHS Console instead of using Windows Update from the Start Menu.  Start the WHS Console, then go to Settings/General/Update Now.  Wash, rinse, repeat until nothing is offered.  Using the Start Menus/Windows Update/Custom may offer updates that can break certain functions in WHS.  One that readily comes to mind are the .Net Framework updates, specifically, .Net Framework 2.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

After replacing and reloading my WHS v1 I was getting the above mentioned error and not getting any help with figuring it out from the internet. I called on some support friends I have with Microsoft and was told to do the following, as they stop WHS from completing the domain setup. I have re-installed WHS 3 times over the last week trying to fight this error thinking something went wrong in the installation routine.

* Proper date and time. WHS checks to make sure your computer time is set correctly for the Time Zone you have selected. Since WHS 2003 defaults to Pacific time, if you adjusted the clock and didn't change the time zone, this will cause a failure. (this has been covered by other people and I checked)

* Go to the WHS Console. and turn OFF Remote access in the console. Go to the Services panel and make sure that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is started and also set to AUTOMATIC. It was also suggested that I start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator service and have it set to automatic as well. Reboot, log back in, turn ON Remote Access in the WHS Console

* Here's the zinger, this is what's most likely got most of us unable to complete the domain url configuration. All High Priority updates for your current power pack*MUST* be installed. Login to your server via RDC or physically and go to the windows update site choose CUSTOM and keep hammering away until you go back and it says (*0*) You can go there and it might show only one, but download, install, reboot and go back. Another will show up, as some updates are hidden until their prerequisites are installed. This process will take a couple of hours (and many lots of rebooting) depending on network speed and hardware configuration. Again keep going back and updating until you see it say "High Priority (*0*)" If you let WHS v1 update on it's own from a fresh install it would take a week plus for it to automatically download and install the 150+ updates that are currently available. Sadly Microsoft hasn't rolled any of them up into bigger updates nor into the power packs

As of writing this along with Power Pack 3 the latest update is Update for Windows Home Server (KB981089) <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981089> . This update didn't show up for me until I had updated Microsoft has intentionally  blocked domains from being configured until this update is installed when Power Pack 3 is installed because of the following issue which is addressed in the update:

*Issue 8*
    *The Remote Access website may be vulnerable to cross-site request forgery attacks.*

BullDawg
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:24 AM
  • One thing to be aware of: if you install updates using anything other than the Windows Home Server Console, you have access to updates that Microsoft doesn't intend to install on Windows Home Server (including a few that could potentially break WHS). Every update you need is available through repeated use of the "Update Now ..." button. Also, if you take no action to the contrary during setup, your server will be configured to download and install updates automatically. Though as Clay points out, it will take a week or more.

If you've installed additional software on your server, the question of updates is a bit more nebulous; who knows what updates the vendor's software might actually need? :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:50 AM
  • If you've installed additional software on your server, the question of updates is a bit more nebulous; who knows what updates the vendor's software might actually need? :)

This is why you only choose critical updates only. Microsoft should only offer updates that the WHS needs through critical updates. I have adjusted my post to reflect the WHS console option as the preferred though.

Nothing seems to have broken after my method, and I now have my server setup (in a completely unsupported and unintended configuration) with 2 VM's (Server 2008 and Linux, both are for school work) My poor C2D isn't getting a spare cycle to rest today.

• Edited by Clay Gravil Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:20 AM typos
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Nothing is really very likely to break, but the problem you could encounter is as follows:

• You install software X.
    • Software X uses component Y from Microsoft (perhaps SQL Server Express, perhaps something else; something not installed originally by Microsoft).
    • Next month Microsoft releases a critical patch for component Y which has the side effect of breaking e.g. something in .Net as used by Windows Home Server.
    • Microsoft says: "Component Y isn't part of Windows Home Server, so it's definitely not our problem." (Strictly speaking, I happen to agree with this. But is it the software X vendor's problem? Probably not, unless "software X" is actually a Windows Home Server add-in.)
    • Wailing and gnashing of teeth occurs, along with much fingerpointing in Microsoft's direction for "breaking WHS".

This sort of thing happens all too often with Windows desktops, it even happens with regularity with Windows servers where the responsible IT resources don't properly test patches. And nobody is ever going to "take ownership" of making sure that any given patch will work without issue in your particular environment; that's your responsibility. And we all apply patches with zero testing all the time anyway, including me... 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:44 PM
  • You say: "Go to the WHS Console. and turn OFF Remote access in the console. Go to the Services panel..." 

What is the "Services panel"? I do not find it in the WHS Console.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Its not. You would need to log in locally or RDP to the server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:15 PM