Old XP vs New Computer (Invalid Product Key) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was advised by an MS-MVP (Newsgroup: Windows XP Help & Support) to post the following and someone can help me.  Thanks in advance.  Respectfully, Ben H.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-76T8C-79PBD-B8HW6
    Windows Product Key Hash: AcFImf8wARzW1f4oUVB+lmWVh8o=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4076344-23515
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 254c9d74-85a7-4c22-ad31-5de682278072
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\syssetup.dll

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>254c9d74-85a7-4c22-ad31-5de682278072</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B8HW6</PKey><PID>55274-640-4076344-23515</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1547161642-2025429265-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0712   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20061101000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>1C0636D70184204D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>China Standard Time(GMT+08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:14 AM

Answers

• Ben H.,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, May 21, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Hello Dan,
    I will assume you know what you are talking about?
    As for me, all I can tell you is this.  Approx, 5 years ago I purchased Windows XP PRO and installed it with no trouble on my old computer.  Now after purchasing this new computer it doesn't work.  In your opinion, what would happen if I clean installed my old Windows 98 SE?  It was part of the package with the old computer.  Then after "hopefully" verifying 98SE installing the XP again.
    Thanks for the help.
    Respectfully,
    Ben
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:35 AM
  • Ben H.,

The next step in the process is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version?

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Can you describe exactly what materials you purchased when "Approx, 5 years ago I purchased Windows XP PRO"?  Take a very close look at your Windows XP Pro CD, and compare it to the counterfeit samples at this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Hello Dan,
    Thanks for your assistance and thanks for involving your supervisor.  It demonstrates you (Microsoft) is interested in resolving my problem.
    1.  Windows XP Pro Version 2002
    2.  I don't find SurpriseEM" written anywhere.  There is an orange colored label: with a symbol of a skeleton key, PRODUCT KEY: <new line> the group of PK numbers.  NOTE: My PK numbers do not correspond with those listed in the MGADiag.
    3.  Windows XP Pro was purchased separately from a reputable retailer.
    4.  O, I won't
    There is one other label attached to the packaging; black letters on a white label.  Reading: CD SET <followed by an eight digit number>.
    Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Ben H.,

Please try to change your installed Product Key from what it is now to the Product Key that is printed on the orange label using the Product Key Updater Utility:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

Let us know the results!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Ben:

I would suggest going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx to try and resolve the validation issue you're having. It is a wizard created to help identify what may have happened with your Windows XP installation to make it non-genuine - as well as provide next-steps for resolution.

-phil

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:51 PM

All replies

• Ben H.,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Monday, May 21, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Hello Dan,
    I will assume you know what you are talking about?
    As for me, all I can tell you is this.  Approx, 5 years ago I purchased Windows XP PRO and installed it with no trouble on my old computer.  Now after purchasing this new computer it doesn't work.  In your opinion, what would happen if I clean installed my old Windows 98 SE?  It was part of the package with the old computer.  Then after "hopefully" verifying 98SE installing the XP again.
    Thanks for the help.
    Respectfully,
    Ben
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:35 AM
  • Ben H.,

Can you describe exactly what materials you purchased when "Approx, 5 years ago I purchased Windows XP PRO"?  Take a very close look at your Windows XP Pro CD, and compare it to the counterfeit samples at this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Ben H,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information and posting on the thread. Diagnostic results help our team find resolutions. Dan's information is correct as what he indicated. In turn I wanted to post some more information.  I have extracted a portion of your diagnostic results to review with you.

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with Windows XP operating system and why it is not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install the operating system is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. Please provide the information Dan suggested. Also where did you purchase Windows 5 years ago?

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP Pro is an unauthorized installation. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of the operating system to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your system. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. First, if this comes as a total surprise, please go back to where you purchased the software and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses. Second, if you purchased this copy of XP from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

The key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement. Each day new keys are being identified as non-genuine.  This comes from customers such as yourself submitting piracy reports and/or companies submitting request to block their VLK because they have been compromised. 

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. Again, you may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office. Please review and follow the guidance @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine on how to become genuine.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Hello Dan,
    Thanks for your assistance and thanks for involving your supervisor.  It demonstrates you (Microsoft) is interested in resolving my problem.
    1.  Windows XP Pro Version 2002
    2.  I don't find SurpriseEM" written anywhere.  There is an orange colored label: with a symbol of a skeleton key, PRODUCT KEY: <new line> the group of PK numbers.  NOTE: My PK numbers do not correspond with those listed in the MGADiag.
    3.  Windows XP Pro was purchased separately from a reputable retailer.
    4.  O, I won't
    There is one other label attached to the packaging; black letters on a white label.  Reading: CD SET <followed by an eight digit number>.
    Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Mr. S. Holm,
    Thanks for your help.
    Please review my posting to Dan for an update.
    You will notice I stated the numbers listed in the MGADiag. do not correspond with my Product Key.  Now what?:-)
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Ben H.,

Please try to change your installed Product Key from what it is now to the Product Key that is printed on the orange label using the Product Key Updater Utility:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

Let us know the results!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Hi Dan,
    I really got my hopes up, but they were dashed against the rocks...

Product Key Update Failure
    The application was unable to update.....(Error 0x80070003)

Thanks again.
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:36 AM
  • Ben H.,

While we're waiting for advice on what to do with you 0x80004003 error, can you do two more things?

1.  Enter the last three character groups of five of the Product Key on your orange label into the search for this site and run a search to see if something comes up.  So if this were your PK,  *****-*****-YK6VG-RTHWM-QYYBK  you would enter the green characters into the search box.

2.  Visit this web page, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/windows.mspx, and in the lower section "More Windows Products" select your edition of XP and follow along to see if we can identify which CD you have.  If your CD is mostly a hologrammed CD but has a section with what looks like silk screening and has the word Licensing silkscreened on it, see this page for further identification:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/content/products/volume_licensing.aspx?pid=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Ben:

I would suggest going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx to try and resolve the validation issue you're having. It is a wizard created to help identify what may have happened with your Windows XP installation to make it non-genuine - as well as provide next-steps for resolution.

-phil

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:51 PM
  • Hello Dan,
    Hope you enjoyed a pleasant evening and a great nights sleep.  I'm assuming you live in the North-Western coastal region of the USA.  By reading my address suffix you know my approx. location.
    To reply to your queries:
    1.  I ran the last three groups of PK numbers; three ways with a space, with a dash, and without either.  All "no hit".
    2.  Followed the first link; the product stopped at 2003, I have 2002.  My packaging is tri-fold, the cover; pale blue center spot intensifying to a deep blue at the corners.  The cover center shows the Windows flag logo and words; Microsoft Windows XP Professional.  The word; Microsoft,  is shown in the upper right corner, and a green start icon is printed in the lower left with a taskbar across the bottom.  Finally, above the taskbar in the lower right is printed; Version 2002.  If you wish a description of the insides I will do my best to provide that as well.  Following the second link; there were no likenesses of my disc.  My disc appears to be a 100% edge to edge mirrored hologram.
    If you will provide me a secure address; I will be happy to send you all or a partial of my PK.
    And again thanks for all your efforts and assistance.
    Respectfully,
    Ben
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:42 PM
  • Ben H.,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.  What I was trying to do was to get a feel for whether your materials are genuine or not, and the descriptions you posted seem to be consistent with the "real McCoy."  (It's not easy being sure about this kind of thing on a message board.)  Hi-quality counterfeit materials are eligible for free replacement from Microsoft, so I wanted to see if we were leaning in that direction or not.

At the moment it seems that you have a technical issue preventing you from completing  the Product Key Updating process.  The error 0x80004003 has not yet been reported in this forum, so the chances of we two solving your problem on the forum are pretty slim.

May I suggest that you submit a free email WGA support request at this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&  They will be able to confirm whether your Product Key is genuine and they should be able to assist you in getting your Product Key updated.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Hi Dan,
    You have misread my post regarding the error message. It's (Error 0x80070003) not
    error 0x80004003. When you wrote it the first time I assumed it was a typo. Sorry for not advising you earlier.
    YES, I am certain I have a valid copy of windows. As it installed without a hitch in my "old computer" five years ago.
    As for me the problem seems to lay; from where this strange PK number originated? The one listed in the WGADiag. And lastly, how do I rid myself of it?
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Ben H.,

Ooops, yes it seems that I did type the error code incorrectly.

The sort-of good news though is that when I searched, I searched by cutting and pasting what you typed, the correct error code 0x80074003, and that search yielded no previous results within the WGA forum, which as a rule means that no one has posted reporting  this particular error before.

At this point I think we have exhausted the limited help one can get in the forum, so please go ahead and submit the request for free WGA email support as I posted previously.  I understand the crux of your issue is that while attempting to run the Product Key Update rutility, you received the 0x80074003 error message which halted the update.  We have reason to believe that your previously genuine PK is still genuine, and that if we could get the PK Updater to work it would convert your nongenuine installation of XP to a genuine installation.

If you have the spare time, please post back and let us know how the email support effort is progressing!

PS---In the last few days the Microsoft staff have released a Validation Advisor page that may provide some additional information:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/validationhelp.aspx  But I would still submit that email support request!

Friday, May 25, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Hello my friend Dan,
    I will be happy to relay whatever the email service offers.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 6:55 AM
  • Hello Dan,
    I'm guessing you hoped or prayed you would never hear from me again. :-)
    But, you asked to be informed if the email was a help. As of this point I must say "NO!" After thanking you for your help, I sent them all the information including a link to this thread. As of yet I have no response. And of course all I can do is wait; my productivity is near nil, as I fear to put to much into the computer in case of requiring a re installation.
    Rereading your last reply I see the link to a new validation help, I forgot that part but will go there now.
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.
    PS: Went to the link, it only offers the Validation renewal tool that you sent me to long ago. The place where i received the (error: 0x800???) message.  Thanks again.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:01 PM
  • Ben H.,

Hang in there, hopefully you'll get a reply and a solution soon.

Remember, though, the error you posted has not been seen on this forum before, which may indicate that it is something new or very rare, and in either of those situations it may take some burning of the midnight oil for the Microsoft software engineers to figure out the problem and come up with a solution.

Your original situation was that you wanted to "genuine-ize" a nongenuine Invalid Product Key installation of XP Pro using what appears to be a full retail XP Pro Product Key.  During that process you received the error message and that has stopped you dead in your tracks so to speak.

Another way to solve this problem, although a lot of work, would be to do either a clean installation of XP Pro or a repair reinstallation of XP Pro.  The full retail CD you have will be able to do that for you with no problem.  If you decide to do a clean installation, remember that a clean installation erases all user data on the computer's hard disk drive so be sure to backup and offload anything you don't want to lose.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Hello Dan,
    Thanks for your positive attitude, it helps (a little :-)
    Regarding the error message here's a link about it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555339
    Yep, that's why I'm not so quck to install my files.  BTW still no responce form the email unit.  I'm beginning to think my best bet is the reinstall, as much as I don't want to do it.
    Respectfully,
    Ben H.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:39 AM
  • hy

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:34 PM