Folder on mesh desktop not on ACTUAL desktop RRS feed

• Question

•  I accepted an invitation (sent to all four computers that are using live mesh) and on one computer (PC running XP, pleanty of juice) the file showed up in mesh desktop as a deep blue, not faded, but not on the desktop of the actual computer. (It worked on all the others, incl. a laptop Vista one, where it showed up as the faded blue, and I synced it to the other computers, no problems).( I am not useing remote desktop at all.) I removed the device from the web and reinstalled it, then had the invitation sent again, but the same thing happened. I did tht again. On same computer two other files sent by invitation worked perfectly on. I have checked the sync settings on this computer  they are all fine. I want to be able to edit this folders two files but cannot until its on the actual desktop as on the other 3 computers wehre it works beautifully. What's with this one? I sent a report to mesh support but after two days they still do not read my question right and keep answering what I didn't ask. SRX1096974770ID
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:30 PM

Answers

• Before setting up the new LiveID, please do file a bug with logs as it *should* have worked for you. The invited folders should have been offered to all devices in your Mesh. Since they were offered to one of the PCs using your LiveID to sign into Mesh, it should have been the same for the other PC.
    I agree that it should be complicated. It appears that you may have encountered a bug.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:06 PM

All replies

• I had that happen one time, or similar, and the solution was to remove the folder from the Mesh and then add it back. In my case, the folder was not shared via invite, but all devices were part of the same Mesh using the same LiveID. It sounds like you are using different LiveIDs on each device and are using the share feature to share a folder. Any reason why you chose to do this instead of signing into Live Mesh on each device with the same LiveID?

Sorry that the support exchange hasn't been fruitful, but it may be a terminology issue. If you can confirm what *I* am assuming based on reading your post, we might be able to steer you correctly. For the terminology thing, you refer to an invitation, which is what leads me to the assumption that you are using more than one LiveID. And, you are referring to "the file showed up in..." when you actually mean "folder" showed up. In Live Mesh you share folders and all contents of that folder become shared.

Further complicating matters, you report that you successfully accepted invitations and set up the sync for two other folders on the PC that one folder is not appearing on for you to configure the sync. So, it would seem that if you followed the same process for all folders you want to sync to that PC, that the results should be the same.

The Live Mesh team may want you to submit a bug with logs from that PC to help identify the problem. 

Please see this post for instructions on how to collect logs and submit a bug on Connect:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e

Thanks,

-steve

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Thanks so much. I do use different Live IDs, as my employees each have one already, and I just assumed that would be best. The folder (which is correct terminology sorry) which I created especially to hold the two files I need "resides" on one of the two computers at the office, and I want to be able to edit from either of those or from either of my two at home, a laptop (Vista) and the PC in question.

So from the office computer in question and using the Live ID of the employee that uses that computer, I invited via email  the two others incl. me  to share as creators/owners of the folder. It downloaded to the actual desktop of all but the home PC, though it showed up in the Mesh desktop on all.

So I can edit from 3 of the 4 computers but not this one. There was another folder that the same thing happened on, but I assume the fix is the same.

Maybe I should create a Windows live ID just for these particular folders that I want to share with employees. I didn't let them sign in on my ID as there are some confidential folders on my mesh as well.

What do you think of this?
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:46 PM
  • No, you did indeed use Live Mesh correctly to share a folder with other people on their PC. If the PCs were all yours, then using a single LiveID would be the way to go, but what you did was correct - you have several people sharing a folder or folders between IDs and this is done via invite.

So, on the PC that did not bring the folder locally, but it shows on your Live Desktop, try changing the Sync settings on the Live Desktop to *not* share with the PC that didn't get the blue folder. Save that. Then try setting the sync properties on the Live Desktop for that folder once again to sync to your "problem" PC to see if the light blue folder shows up for you to accept and configure the sync at the PC.

If that doesn't work, by all means, file the bug and get the logs from the "problem" PC to attach to the submission.
    -steve

Friday, March 20, 2009 3:56 PM
  • I tried your suggestion about changing the sync on that folder but it stayed the same dark blue. I was mistaken about the two other folders, actually none of the "invitation" ones showed up on this computer, only the laptop. I got confused by the folders that I synced for my perso;nal use between the laptop and PC at home.

I have to do some other work now, but when I get time, I am going to create a new Live ID for the few folders that I need to share with employees, and dedicate it to that, perhaps that will work, though I wanted to be less complicated about the fix.

Anyway, thanks, this will be good when it gets finalized, but, BEWARE of making it too complicated to satisfy all users to the exclusion of the non-software engineer types like me.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Before setting up the new LiveID, please do file a bug with logs as it *should* have worked for you. The invited folders should have been offered to all devices in your Mesh. Since they were offered to one of the PCs using your LiveID to sign into Mesh, it should have been the same for the other PC.
    I agree that it should be complicated. It appears that you may have encountered a bug.
    -steve
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:06 PM