threaded sms... please? RRS feed

• Question

• There have a been a couple discussions about this, and the solution always seems to be a third party app. (not a fan) I'm just going to ask (for probably the one millionth time)... can't MS just make threaded sms messaging a native option? Would it really be that difficult? It would make so many, so happy.

Thanks!
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 12:26 AM

All replies

• It is a good suggestion and you are right, it has been asked many times. 

3rd party apps are the answer now, but I think it is an important issue (not because I want it but rather because so many others do) and I will be mentioning this item to the Mobile device guys when I go out to Redmond this coming April to attend the MVP annual conference.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 12:46 AM
  • I discovered a very reliable threaded SMS client for Pocket PC Phone.  It handles both square and rectangular displays.  It has some good configuration options for the display and has an excellent popup notification functionality too.

http://www.pocket-sms.com

Downsides are that it only runs on WM 5.0 or better and the license needs to be activated.

Otherwise, a nice simple application, relatively cheap; whilst it is not so hot on graphics and presentation, it has good functionality/setup options.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:47 AM
  • I couldn't agree more.   I switched from the treo, and am thinking about going back just because of simple user friendly features such as this.   It would make me very happy and it seems like such a simple fix.

Another feature I'd like to see would be the ability to cut and paste from documents to contacts, etc....or within email.  Even the ability to higliht multiple words or lines for deletion would be helpful.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I've had trouble with the installation on a Moto Q9c.  Did you encounter any install issues and how did you overcome them?

Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:09 PM
  • I just thought I'd give this link

http://experiencemobility.com/?p=3605

Itis SMS rlated and talks about Sprite Archie.

What is Sprite Archie?

Sprite Archie monitors your SMS and Call activity and logs this activity to email so that you can refer back to it at any time

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:18 AM
  •  Howard Wilton wrote:

I discovered a very reliable threaded SMS client for Pocket PC Phone.  It handles both square and rectangular displays.  It has some good configuration options for the display and has an excellent popup notification functionality too.

http://www.pocket-sms.com

Downsides are that it only runs on WM 5.0 or better and the license needs to be activated.

Otherwise, a nice simple application, relatively cheap; whilst it is not so hot on graphics and presentation, it has good functionality/setup options.

i am using the Smart Phone edition right now it works very well. its a lil buggy but i had been recruted as a beta tester for the developer so im working with her to fix the issues.

i reccomend trying it out its so much better then any other app i have tried for threading SMS

Jeff
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Jeff, that is just a beta version .... correct?

What bugs have you encountered?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:33 PM
  •  Help_Line wrote:

Jeff, that is just a beta version .... correct?

What bugs have you encountered?

Messgae notifications cause the application do do one of two things commonly, 1) crash and when i re open the program it goes to the last message i was currently in before the message notificationm pop up. or 2) it locks up and nothing responds except for the home button. uppon reopening of the porgram it goes to the same pop up message but dismissing it is sucessful.

Issue 2) there are currently no sound notifications or viberation.

Issue 3) resolution is slightly off causing obstruction of bottom menu options and other things such as the about screen.

issue 4) once you get multiple messages to dismiss if you select the view option instead of dismiss the program closes and when i restart it it goes ot the last message i asked to view.

issue 4) and this i cannot explin, i did infact lose a whole convorsation once. but im unclear if this is because of user error. i have not been able ot recreate this.

issue 5) using the action/select button on a message to view it in the new message notification window causes the program to close rather then go to the message but  once i reopen the applicatuion it goes to the message i asked to view.

and lastly this is a cosmedic thing i need to have border definition between the chat dialog and the text entry section its all white and makes me go buggy some times.

i think the program crashes are due ot a memory leak because before any crashes it tends to get rather sluggish and i have been able ot prevent crashes by clearing memory with SK tools liet. but this does not solve the new/missed message notification window and viewing issues nore the sound issues. just the crashing.

I will be passing all this info onto the developer, as she was os very kind ot give me an activation key to test this program for her im going ot give her every last ounce of info i can because i do alread see ag reat love affair with me and this prgram once its all bug free. one feature im going to ask her to include is the ability to have the sms app compleetly take over the WM sms application rather then capture messages from it. that way selecting the sms app from the windows start menue or from my soft key will go directly to this sms application rather thne the crummy WM 6 stock application.

I will keep you posted and please if you try the SmartPhone edidtion of this app pass on any bugs to me at jeffjiggens@kwic.com
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Ok after many emails and screen shots and debugging, i have worked with the developer and she has released an almost 100% stable Smartphone version of this application. its AMAZING you should all try it.

http://www.pocket-sms.com/download.html

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:14 PM
  • That is so cool Juggalo_X.  Thanks for posting that info!!

BTW, I edited the link above to make it a "hot link"

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:17 PM
  • No problem, thanks for editing. the program still has a bug in the notification area but other then that its running great. She is working on speeding it up and getting the notifications working 100% So keep tabs on this it shouldn't be to much longer.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:20 PM
  • New version has been released, working much faster and allot more stable. no crashing at all now.

• Correction of the formatting issues on the About, Activate, Deactive, Retention and Options screens; addition of menu bars with an OK option to the About, Retention and Options screens.  Could you please pay special attention to the About form (this may not be quite right yet)?
    • On the main screen, I have applied a grey border around the two controls which are inactive; the active control still has a black border.  This is purely cosmetic, but I think it is a great improvement to the overall look of the application.
    • I have added Sound and Vibrate functionality upon receipt of an incoming message.  Could you please confirm that the Vibrate function works on your device.  Also please confirm that the Sound is inaudible when you've got the device in silent mode and a message comes in.
     http://www.pocket-sms.com/SMS%20SmartPhone%20CAB.CAB

the notification area is still buggy but is being re codded.

please report bugs to me @ jeffjiggens@kwic.com

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:13 PM
  • I found Vito's SMS-Chat the best solution.  Available at Handango.com.
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Why always a third party solution/application for any issue(s) with Windows Mobile??? Microsoft should provide option whether user want a  threaded text or not....

Monday, September 15, 2008 11:56 AM