Microsoft Money Account transfer RRS feed

• Question

• How are funds transferred from one account to another without incurring an expense or income notation? ig: from a bank account to a moneymarket account. P.s. I saw in help once how to do this but can't find the help information again under any search that I can think of.

Thank you.

Monday, November 5, 2018 2:40 PM

Answers

• There is more than one way to enter a transfer. I enter my transactions into the register without using the forms. I use the multi-line method, and you can toggle between single-line and multi-line with Ctrl+T.

When entering transactitions there is a Category field. Scroll down past the Split, past the EXPENSE area, past the INCOME area, into the SPECIAL area. There you will find transfer. The way that shows will depend on whether you are set up for the hierarchical Dual Category mode or  single category where you will see things like "Transfer : Woodland Bank" and  "Transfer : Master Card" and so forth-- one for each account that has a cash register. You choose the account, and the action is reflected in the other account also.

If downloading transactions, it is best to set up the transfer first. Then when you download the second account, Money will ideally recognize the match. If not, force it. If you end up with a duplicate transaction, you may want to Void the duplicate. That would insure that the same transaction will not download again.

• Marked as answer by Maxus101011 Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:07 PM

All replies

• In addition to the usual register options of Deposit, Spend, etc, there should be one labeled Transfer which will do what you want.
    Monday, November 5, 2018 7:39 PM
  • Don't know if we talking about the same thing. Don't see a specific Transfer, any reference in help seems to indicate an online action either for bills or investments.

Quicken has a specific method to transfer from one account to another making the appropriate debit and credit.

Thank you for your response.

Monday, November 5, 2018 11:57 PM
  • If downloaded, they usually show up as journal entries.  However, if you enter manually, use the Transfer Tab (rather than Debit or Credit) and then the downloaded transactions should match up properly.
    • Edited by ameridan Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:28 AM
    • Select entry in question
    • Click on "Edit"
    • Then click on the "Transfer" tab
    • You should get a Dialog asking if you want to "Create a new transaction" or "Change to a transfer transaction"

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:50 AM
  • There is more than one way to enter a transfer. I enter my transactions into the register without using the forms. I use the multi-line method, and you can toggle between single-line and multi-line with Ctrl+T.

When entering transactitions there is a Category field. Scroll down past the Split, past the EXPENSE area, past the INCOME area, into the SPECIAL area. There you will find transfer. The way that shows will depend on whether you are set up for the hierarchical Dual Category mode or  single category where you will see things like "Transfer : Woodland Bank" and  "Transfer : Master Card" and so forth-- one for each account that has a cash register. You choose the account, and the action is reflected in the other account also.

If downloading transactions, it is best to set up the transfer first. Then when you download the second account, Money will ideally recognize the match. If not, force it. If you end up with a duplicate transaction, you may want to Void the duplicate. That would insure that the same transaction will not download again.

• Marked as answer by Maxus101011 Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 12:07 PM
  • You may be using the Essential Register if you can't see the transfer option. You should make sure that you are using the Advanced Register. It's also a good idea to change Reports and Bills to Advanced versions.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Good observation.

One way to make the change is
    Tools->Settings->AccountSettings->DisplayAllAccountsInTheAdvancedRegister.

If Advanced Reports are not enabled, click
    Reports->ChangeReportSettings->SwitchFromEssentialToAdvancedReports.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:04 PM