Dual Booting WHS and XP or 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Two questions:

1) in WHS, the shared directories, can be accessed from a remote desktop login into WHS (a 2k3 server). I have read a couple things that make me think accessing these directories directly, and not through the shares WHS provides to the connected machines is bad. Is that true? will I mess things up if I log into the WHS machine and move stuff around? It's be much much faster than doing it all over the networks (moving directory entries is much faster than reading every byte of data across a network cable, and then writing every byte back to a new location).

2) I'm going to ask a question that has been answered, but I am hoping to have a slightly different angle on it. I want to dual boot my system. I want to be able to run the old XP install, which has similar software, should a newer one fail. Now, I know WHS (rather stupidly, imo) erases everything on the system when you install it, so if I unplug the 1 XP HD, and install WHS, I can plug back in the XP drive, and tell the WHS OS to ignore the drive (don't mount it, and don't add it to the storage conglomeration). Now, XP will dual boot, so I am hoping I can go into the boot partition settings (which I need to manually edit anyways, to erase a Win7 Beta install that doesn't exist any more) and manually add the WHS volume, so the XP boot controls which partition get's to run. And again, I tell the XP partition to ignore all the WHS drives, so it doesn't fiddle with any of the shadow copies or whatever else is on there.

Maybe the Win7 boot loader can better handle XP or Win7 with WHS? Maybe it knows enough to get a Server2k3 install to dual boot with Win7? Or perhaps a Linux boot loader?

If nothing else, I can just unplug the XP drive unless I need it, but I would think someone out there would have hacked WHS/Server2k3 by now, so it was tolerant of a secondary OS.

And no, I'm not going to run WHS in a virtual machine. I've got one on my Win7 laptop to run Platform Builder, and it's operation is slow, does not have the snappy response that the main OS has, and is, in general, ... mushy (I can't think of a better word for it). Network access in particular is poor and unreliable - and if WHS has a poor network setup, it's useless.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:03 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server works with tombstones to distribute the files in shared folders and their duplicates to one of the DATA volumes. Since you would circumvent this by moving data manually, this may lead to issues, i.e. finding files in D:\Shares instead of tombstones may make drive extender unable to do it's job and fill the D: drive instead of distributing the data properly over the available storage.

Multi boot scenarios with Windows Home Server are not supported and not recommended. You can however change the boot sequence in the Bios or modify the boot.ini to boot from another disk, which will not be added automatically to the storage pool after finishing WHS installation. But applications which are running on XP, are again not aware about the needs of WHS and may affect things in the file system, which may make WHS no longer function.

If you need XP sometimes, a virtual machine may be the better choice.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:09 PM