Vista Ultimate is suddenly not validating, slsvc.exe is missing, RRS feed

• Question

• HI, I don't know what happened, and I have tried every simple tip from this and other pages. If I try to start the "Software licensing" service I get the 0x80070002 error (cannot find the file specified). Device Manger shows an exclamation mark for the "Security Processor loader driver". If I try to start this service in the device manager I get a "a device attached to the system is not functioning" error. Trying to run net start slsvc from an admin cmd, returns:
    The Software Licensing service is starting.
    The Software Licensing service could not be started.
    A system error has occurred.
    System error 2 has occurred.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

The System is instable, and was restarting randomly. Control Panel did not start. This changed, after I managed to install SP2 after many tries now... Now if I try to run the Device Manger from System, Explorer is restarting. 
    How do I get the missing files like slsvc.exe back? I have tried undelete programs, but they couldn't find them.
    Before all was working OK, and yes, my copy of Vista ultimate is apparently genuine according to MGADiag.exe:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RJ4DF-2MDD2-M3T92
    Windows Product Key Hash: J+Tz0hC+wks6UuzRMa1sYI00gDg=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7347617-11498
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6002.2.00010100.2.0.001
    ID: {14C73345-47DC-4DA0-9CE2-02230B105853}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6002.lh_sp2rc.090130-1715
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\Vista Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 3 Beta 5\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{14C73345-47DC-4DA0-9CE2-02230B105853}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6002.2.00010100.2.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-M3T92</PKey><PID>89580-OEM-7347617-11498</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2964247776-2558148723-1749814098</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTEL_</Manufacturer><Model>DQ965GF_</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>CO96510J.86A.6088.2008.1201.0056</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20081201000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7A323507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Europe Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91CA0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>4BAF56C0F7C476E</Val><Hash>h9FP17dcLDaoS/2DkNDOwPgA3p4=</Hash><Pid>70160-OEM-5695181-20122</Pid><PidType>5</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: QAAAAAMABgABAAEAAgACAAAAAgABAAEA6GGi3rAprpm5NyTa1BJqcS737NjGmJyL8MkFpPL06F5dRnb6rFYqhQ==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            INTEL         DQ965GF
      FACP            INTEL         DQ965GF
      MCFG            INTEL         DQ965GF
      WDDT            INTEL         DQ965GF
      ASF!            INTEL         DQ965GF
      TCPA            INTEL         TIANO  

Any help is highly appreciated...
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi JCGJCG,

I believe there may be something else occuring in addition to that Registry Key issue. I'll explain why I think this.

You tried to start the Software Licensing Service (i.e. run the slsvc.exe file)
    You get the error "The system cannot find the file specified" Which means Vista can't find slsvc.exe
    You fixed the Registry so it does point to the correct location of the slsvc.exe file
    You have confirmed that the slsvc.exe file is in it's proper location

So to summerize,  the slsvc.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\system32 folder and (thanks to the fixed Registry Entry) Vista knows it...but Vista still can't find it!?!
    And lastly, you also mention other issue not related to vista's anti-piracy sub-system

Unfortunatly, I can only offer two option, at this point:

1) Contact Vista Support at http://support.microsoft.com and see if they can figure out the root cause/fix for the issue
    2) Reinstall Vista

Actually, you have one additional option: Scan your system for a possible Malware infection (using more then one Anti-Virus program).  This probably has a low chance of fixing the issue since if Malware has already damaged the system, the damage would still remain even after you get rid of the infection.

Very sorry I was unable to resolve your issue,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hello JCGJCG,

That is an easy fix, go to the main Vista Validation forum page http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/threads/, look in the Announcement section and follow the steps found in thread "Fix for ‘Software Licensing service Has Stopped’ on some Vista 64bit systems"

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Hi Darin,
    I did as you wrote in your fix and the issue still remains. I get the same error codes as described above. The registry values correspond now to those of your fix. But the device mnanager has still the "Security Processor Loader Driver" exclamation mark and the net start slsvc returns the same System error 2 has occurred.
    The system cannot find the file specified...
    Any other ideas please?
    JCGJCG
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:57 PM
  • Hi JCGJCG,

If you haven't done so already, reboot and see if that fix then takes affect.

If not, try double clicking the file you made, again and reboot again.

If it still isn't fixed, delete that file and recreate it and the doubleclick it one more time.

Lastly, if all that fails, you may need to go into the Registry and recreate that Entry, by hand. Come back here and I will walk you thru the process. (So I can give you proper instruction on how to do that, would you tell me if you currently have access to the start button and do you know if your account that you use to login to Vista, has Admin Privileges)?

Thanks,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:10 PM
  • I did reboot already and the registry entry looks aexactly like the one in your fix. So does it really help to redo this? I am just asking because my PC in his current state is not that reliable. I restart and it is caught in a loop sometimes and keeps on rebooting once it gets to the login screen. Otherwise, yes, I got admin rights.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Hi JCGJCG,

" the registry entry looks aexactly like the one in your fix. So does it really help to redo this?"

Yes, I will explain why.

When a user uses that 'Free' Registry Cleaner on a 64bit version of Vista, it deleted the "ImagePath" entry from the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\slsvc . So when the user tries to restart the Software Licensing Service (using the 'net start slsvc' command), they receive the error:

"System error 3 has occurred.  The system cannot find the path specified"

The 'Free' Registry Cleaner has the ability to 'restore' what it has deleted. If the user does a restore, the "ImagePath" entry will be restored, and will Look (on the surface) just like it's supposed to. Unfortunatly, the Cleaner doesn't restore correctly.  In this case, when the user attempts to re-start the Software Licensing Service, they receive the error:

"System Error 2 has occured. The system cannot find the file specified". 

The difference between a Proper "ImagePath" and the Restored "ImagePath" can not usually be seen by the user unless they save the entry to a .reg file and then open the file in notepad. 

A Restored 'ImagePath' Entry looks something like this:

"ImagePath"=%SystemRoot%\system32\

A Propert 'ImagePath' Entry looks like this:

"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
      74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,\
      00,4c,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00

To fix the issue, you need to either Replace or Delete/Recreate the Restored "ImagePath" to a Proper "ImagePath"

To Replace the entry, you create (and double click) a .reg file as shown in the "Fix for ‘Software Licensing service Has Stopped’ on some Vista 64bit systems" thread

To Delete/Recreate the entry, you need to:

1) Run the Registry Editor utility (i.e. click Start, type: regedit and hit Enter)

Importent: In the Registry Editor window, click on "Computer" then click the 'File' dropdown menu and select "Export". Name it 'RegBackup" and Save it to your Desktop
    (The resulting RegBackup.reg file can be clicked on and it will restore the Registry back to the way it is right now...just in case we make any mistakes)

2) Find and Expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    3) Find and Expand "SYSTEM"
    4) Find and Expand "CurrentControlSet"
    5) Find and Expand "Services"
    6) Find and Click on "slsvc"
    7) In the Right hand area of the window you will see a number of Entries (such as Description, DisplayName, ImagePath and so on)
    8) Right-click "ImagePath" and select 'Delete'
    9) Right-click in an empty portion of the right hand area of the window. (the only option that comes up should be  "New")
    10) Mouse over "New" and select "Expandable String Value"
    11) Right-click on the name of the new Entry you just created and select "Rename"
    12) Type: ImagePath and click 'OK'
    13) Right-click on the name of the new Entry you created and select "Modify"
    14) Type: %SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe and click 'OK'  (note: Vista will automaticly convert that address into the long Hex Code that I show in my example of a Proper 'ImagePath' Entry ).
    15) Close the Registry Editor and reboot

That should fix the issue. To test, try to restart the Software Licensing Service by using the 'net start slsvc' command. Tell me if you get the "System Error 2..." error or a message like "Service is already started".

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Hmm, did it and it is still the same problem. net start slsvc wont start, file not found (slsvc.exe  is there though, I checked). In the registry, the ImagePath value remains "%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe", but when I compare the hex entries, they correspond to the numbers in your post...

Something I just read in your previous post: I am not running the 64bit version. But a registry cleaner has been used indeed, the Amust Registry cleaner. I undid the changes immediately after some problems occured, but as you wrote, this probably did not fix anything.
    Some other weird behaviour of my PC since these problems started: Very often when I get to the logon screen, the PC would just restart (even if I have the "restart" option on system failures disabled). And I cannot run the device manager from the control panel-System, but I can do so from "Computer", right-click - Manage...
    Thanks so muc for trying to help me here...
    JCGJCG
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Hi JCGJCG,

I believe there may be something else occuring in addition to that Registry Key issue. I'll explain why I think this.

You tried to start the Software Licensing Service (i.e. run the slsvc.exe file)
    You get the error "The system cannot find the file specified" Which means Vista can't find slsvc.exe
    You fixed the Registry so it does point to the correct location of the slsvc.exe file
    You have confirmed that the slsvc.exe file is in it's proper location

So to summerize,  the slsvc.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\system32 folder and (thanks to the fixed Registry Entry) Vista knows it...but Vista still can't find it!?!
    And lastly, you also mention other issue not related to vista's anti-piracy sub-system

Unfortunatly, I can only offer two option, at this point:

1) Contact Vista Support at http://support.microsoft.com and see if they can figure out the root cause/fix for the issue
    2) Reinstall Vista

Actually, you have one additional option: Scan your system for a possible Malware infection (using more then one Anti-Virus program).  This probably has a low chance of fixing the issue since if Malware has already damaged the system, the damage would still remain even after you get rid of the infection.

Very sorry I was unable to resolve your issue,
    Darin MS
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:15 PM