Remote desktop timeout messages behind a corporate fireway RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed this when trying to connect from work

"I just built a new machine running Vista from scratch to replace an ancient XP machine, and saw this symptom.  In configuring Remote Desktop on Vista, I selected the option to allow connection only from machines capable of NLA--Network Level Authentication.  Changing that to "any version of Remote Desktop" fixed the issue."

Could this explain why I am getting a remote timehout as soon as I try to get to my honer server at work which is behind a firewall?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:21 PM

Answers

• MatteoModern said:

I can login to my WHS but when i try to open the console it switches the web page but then tells me that the connection timed out and i get booted back to the end user interface.....

This is usually a symptom of port 4125 not being forwarded properly or blocked by the (remote) client or netwokr firewall. Connecting to the WHS from a remote webpage can be done from any computer that runs a supported version of IE with security settings that allow installation and execution of the required ActiveX components.
    • Proposed as answer by MatteoModern Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Barnett Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Same here - it seems most company firewalls block the ports that are needed for remote desktop.
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Barnett Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:19 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:29 PM

All replies

• Jeff Barnett said:

I noticed this when trying to connect from work

"I just built a new machine running Vista from scratch to replace an ancient XP machine, and saw this symptom.  In configuring Remote Desktop on Vista, I selected the option to allow connection only from machines capable of NLA--Network Level Authentication.  Changing that to "any version of Remote Desktop" fixed the issue."

Could this explain why I am getting a remote timehout as soon as I try to get to my honer server at work which is behind a firewall?

Not clear to me if you are still having the timeout issue and when, or if you fixed it.

Do you get this when you try to access your homeserver webpage, or after logging on to your homeserver remote access webpage when you try to access your homeserver or another machine from the computers tab? If it's the latter you corporate firewall probably blocks one or more essential ports (often TCP 4125)
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:38 PM
  • I think I understand what he means... and i dont think thats it....  he is asking about connecting to a remote machine, you can only do this with certain versions of XP (biz) and Vista (bix, ult)...  my VHP machine shows up in the computers tab but i can not remote to it....  the thing I think he is talking about is actually connecting to the WHS Console....  I can login to my WHS but when i try to open the console it switches the web page but then tells me that the connection timed out and i get booted back to the end user interface.....
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:11 PM
  • MatteoModern said:

I can login to my WHS but when i try to open the console it switches the web page but then tells me that the connection timed out and i get booted back to the end user interface.....

This is usually a symptom of port 4125 not being forwarded properly or blocked by the (remote) client or netwokr firewall. Connecting to the WHS from a remote webpage can be done from any computer that runs a supported version of IE with security settings that allow installation and execution of the required ActiveX components.
    • Proposed as answer by MatteoModern Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Barnett Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:19 PM
  •  
    then thats probably my issue as I am at work....   i have another question about shares...  i'll start another post about it...
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Same here - it seems most company firewalls block the ports that are needed for remote desktop.
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Barnett Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:19 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:29 PM