How to access Webservice in windows from internet?(written in C#) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I dont know if it is a right place to post or not.

I have to write a webservice that will serve local clients and foreign clients(out side).

I know how to serve local clients with IIS. but main problem is from  foreign clients. how can they connect to my webservice?

someone told me that tell them to sent requests to your valid ip and then forward those packets (packet forwarding in modem) sent to that specific port to server's computer.

Is that correct or not? are there any other ways?

thanks

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:09 AM

Answers

• They'll help you over here.

https://forums.asp.net/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 12:29 PM
  • Hi all

I have to write a webservice that will serve local clients and foreign clients(out side).

I know how to serve local clients with IIS. but main problem is from  foreign clients. how can they connect to my webservice?

someone told me that tell them to sent requests to your valid ip and then forward those packets (packet forwarding in modem) sent to that specific port to server's computer.

thanks

Good day, 

>> Is that correct or not?

yes this is correct

First of all you need to understand how your internal and external network are configured.

The most common case is that you connect using Internet service provider (ISP), which gives you an external IP. Using this IP anyone can contact your internal network. Again, I can only talk about most common case... usually you use a router (which include Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server) in order to connect your ISP. Your DHCP server dynamically distributes network configuration parameters, such as internal IP addresses.

In this configuration, your external users should send requests to your external IP, which reach your router.

Now let's say you host your service in the IIS using port 80 (like websites).

you should configure your router to pass any request that come to your router in port 80 to your internal IP of the machine that includes the IIS server. This way, any external request that come to the router pass to the right machine. 

This question is related to network category.
    I think you should ask your question in Internet Information Services (IIS) forum, or maybe in the Network & Internet forum.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, June 11, 2017 2:51 AM

All replies

• They'll help you over here.

https://forums.asp.net/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 12:29 PM
  • Hi all

thanks

Good day, 

>> Is that correct or not?

yes this is correct

First of all you need to understand how your internal and external network are configured.

The most common case is that you connect using Internet service provider (ISP), which gives you an external IP. Using this IP anyone can contact your internal network. Again, I can only talk about most common case... usually you use a router (which include Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server) in order to connect your ISP. Your DHCP server dynamically distributes network configuration parameters, such as internal IP addresses.

In this configuration, your external users should send requests to your external IP, which reach your router.

Now let's say you host your service in the IIS using port 80 (like websites).

you should configure your router to pass any request that come to your router in port 80 to your internal IP of the machine that includes the IIS server. This way, any external request that come to the router pass to the right machine. 

This question is related to network category.
    I think you should ask your question in Internet Information Services (IIS) forum, or maybe in the Network & Internet forum.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, June 11, 2017 2:51 AM