System restore on Client PC's RRS feed

• Question

• Just a thought....

With WHS and the daily backups, is System Restore required to run on your client PC's?

Vince
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:11 PM

Answers

•  Vsawler wrote:
    With WHS and the daily backups, is System Restore required to run on your client PC's?

I would say that you should leave it running, both because WHS is still beta software and because, even once it's RTM, it's not intended to do the same thing that System Restore does. System restore is really designed to let you quickly and easily back out a change to your system, such as installing a new version of a video driver or installing a new piece of software. It doesn't protect your data. WHS backup protects your data but (even though it's described as such in the documentation) it's not really designed to let you back out a system change.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:57 PM

All replies

• I wouldn't say its required but it certainly can't hurt to leave it on, especially since WHS is still a beta product and relying soley on a beta product to perform mission critical functions is not suggested. Unless you're running out of space on your clients I wouldn't turn off system restore just yet.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:37 PM
  •  Vsawler wrote:

I would say that you should leave it running, both because WHS is still beta software and because, even once it's RTM, it's not intended to do the same thing that System Restore does. System restore is really designed to let you quickly and easily back out a change to your system, such as installing a new version of a video driver or installing a new piece of software. It doesn't protect your data. WHS backup protects your data but (even though it's described as such in the documentation) it's not really designed to let you back out a system change.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:57 PM
  • I agree, currently with WHS in beta, system restore on client PC's is required.  But it does offer a different option to bring your system backup.

Vince
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I'd like to offfer another suggestion.  I have used imaging SW for a number of years for system partition backup.  I am continuing to keep current images on a USB drive for my systems attached to WHS.  Experimenting with restore from WMS produced two good and one bad restore, but I was able to restore my image after the one failure.

Don't forget this is Beta SW.  Be safe.

Dale

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:09 PM
  • You right, this is beta software, and I'm not relying on WHS for my primary backup/system restore. But it does offer some options once the final product comes out.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:13 AM