Technical school RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently in the midst of making a career change from graphic/web design (13yrs) to IT.  I have a BA and I'm looking into technical schooling. 

Has anyone heard of the technical school, Strategy Computers, in Bellevue WA?  http://strategycomputers.com/
    They do give a good sales pitch for their programs, but I'd like to get some opinions from professionals in the field.

I'm considering a security manager program, which I've been told is a network engineer with a security track. The program is supposed to take about 1-1.5yr of constant classes (lecture/hands-on) to complete, leading to A+, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA, CCNP and various NSP certifications.

Does this sound feasible?  If so, what entry level positions could be expected?  (I understand that experience is key)

Any advice would be wonderful.
    Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:04 PM

Answers

• Microsoft came up with a great Roadmap to answer that very question. Take a look and see what you think.
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:05 AM

All replies

• Wow. I have seen it take a better part of 1 - 3 years for some to complete their MCSE. Not to mention CCNP. But completing them both in 1 to 1.5 years? That's hardcore. Even the CCNA can mess with you with you are not familiar with routing, router config and IP addressing; including subnetting. Can it be done? Sure. Should it? In my opinion, no. With no prior knowledge and experience with any of the certifications mentioned; you are going to blow a gasket.

Just out of curiousity, how much is this buffet going to cost?
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Yeah, it seemed like a lot to me too.  The entire program is slated to be 408 hrs of instruction with add'l time spent on exam prep.  Cost for the program is 22k.  seems like quite a bit, but when compared to many of the other training centers I've encountered, it's less.  The school's USP is preparing students to be employable. And they seem to have quite a few add-ons, such as one-on-one tutoring, exam fees included, retake of the entire program for up to one year.  The classes are individual courses taught sequentially in increasing complexity.  

So, what would you suggest if my goal is to become a network engineer?
    Any opinions about the school?

Thanks
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Wow. 408 hours of instructional training is roughly 8 hours a day, everyday, for a year! Can you start out with a smaller program? Meaning MCP, MCSA, MCSE? Not only to get your feet wet, but to soften your budget as well.

Here is the thing that I has seen with your situation. People pay this enormous amount of money for IT certifications, only to get a month into it and realize 1.) this is way to hard to understand, 2.) come to the realization that you just really don't enjoy IT or 3.) the classes just suck. What are your outs?

And I know this seems pretty stupid to ask, but have you browsed the Microsoft Learning site and the Career Change Management site yet?

Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Yeah, I've browsed thru the sites.

As far as an "out" goes, any withdrawal from the program is prorated based on hours used. 

I was also thinking that a smaller track would be good to start with also.

Do you have any thoughts on what entry level positions might be a good start?  I'm thinking that if I can get a solid base, I could get my foot in the door and then continue up.

Thanks for the response.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Microsoft came up with a great Roadmap to answer that very question. Take a look and see what you think.
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:05 AM
  • Microsoft came up with a great Roadmap  to answer that very question. Take a look and see what you think.
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    This still doesn't answer the question.  I too am looking to get into this school but am looking for opinions of it before dropping the $$.  Does anyone have some real-world experience with this school, thoughts on their curriculum, etc?
    Monday, March 30, 2009 6:34 PM
  • My answer was for tk70's post. Review the other posts in this thread to see our opinions.
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:13 AM
  • This is the only thread that mentions Strategy Computers... and in tk70's initial post he had said:
    "Has anyone heard of the technical school, Strategy Computers, in Bellevue WA?  http://strategycomputers.com/
    They do give a good sales pitch for their programs, but I'd like to get some opinions from professionals in the field.
    "

To which you responded with the roadmap link - doesn't answer his wuestion pertaining to the Technical School.  There's no mention of the school in either of the other 2 links you supplied either.

Then again on his 2nd post:
    "So, what would you suggest if my goal is to become a network engineer?
    Any opinions about the school? "

Again, only supplying links... if you have no professional opinion on the school at least say so, don't just ignore that part of the post.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I gave my opinions about the training offered. Not the school itself. Please reread the thread. I know nothing about this school other than what was listed on their site and what tk70 mentioned. In my opinion (again), I wrote:

Wow. I have seen it take a better part of 1 - 3 years for some to complete their MCSE. Not to mention CCNP. But completing them both in 1 to 1.5 years? That's hardcore. Even the CCNA can mess with you with you are not familiar with routing, router config and IP addressing; including subnetting. Can it be done? Sure. Should it? In my opinion, no. With no prior knowledge and experience with any of the certifications mentioned; you are going to blow a gasket.

Just out of curiousity, how much is this buffet going to cost?

and

Wow. 408 hours of instructional training is roughly 8 hours a day, everyday, for a year! Can you start out with a smaller program? Meaning MCP, MCSA, MCSE? Not only to get your feet wet, but to soften your budget as well.

Here is the thing that I has seen with your situation. People pay this enormous amount of money for IT certifications, only to get a month into it and realize 1.) this is way to hard to understand, 2.) come to the realization that you just really don't enjoy IT or 3.) the classes just suck. What are your outs?

And I know this seems pretty stupid to ask, but have you browsed the Microsoft Learning site and the Career Change Management site yet?

Is there anything else I can provide you?
    Michael D. Alligood,

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:33 AM
  • I understand that you gave an opinion on the classes and not the school, it was just that he had asked for opinions on the school not the classes. lol... I was hoping there would be more than just yourself to supply responses.  They're MS Gold Partners and say the MS 'recruiters' come to them for potential employees, quite a claim to be making and something worth looking into.

Unfortunately it's impossible to find contact information to speak with anyone at MS locally to gather information, directories are by name not department, and the homepage offers no assistance either.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:43 AM