My Hard Drive is being eaten up alive. RRS feed

• Question

• For about 2 months or so, my hard drive space is disappearing at about the rate of 1-3% daily.  I have not installed any programs that can account for this anomaly. As of today, I am down to about 18% space remaining on my hard drive.   At the current rate of space lost, I will be out of space in about a week or 10 days.

Just to give a little more insight, I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.  Today, I installed a new CD to renew my subscription to Windows Live OneCare.  Up to now, the Windows Live OneCare Tune-up feature has not found any abnormalities and the scans seem to complete without any significant problems.

The one and only thing that I can think of is that about the same time I started losing disc space, I also started receiving a warning notice  from Internet Explorer stating: "There is no data".  In the windows is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.  There are no error numbers associated with this notice.  The only option it give me is to say OK and close the window.  This happens very often, but in all honesty I don't know what it means.  Only recently have I associated this with the possibility of my losing space on my hard drive, but I have no technical basis for my thoughts.

If anyone can give me any help on this it will be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

LennieK
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:35 AM

Answers

• There are a number of possible reasons for drive space being consumed. it could be due to expanding temporary files located here:
    C:\Users\[windows login ID]\AppData\Local\Temp - to see this folder, you need to have Hidden Files visible via the Folder Options.
    Up to 15% of the drive can be used by System Restore for Restore points.
    Since you are using Home Premium, you aren't losing space to Volume Shadow Services, which is a feature of Business and Ultimate editions of Vista, where changed files are retained as "shadows" allowing you to recover older copies of files.
    Other than these, space is likely being consumed by a program or programs on the PC. Without knowing more about your system and what is running, it is impossible for me to direct you to any other specific location. I would suggest that you open Windows Explorer and navigate all folders, starting with your own User folder branch. Right click each top level folder and select properties to see what the size of that folder. You may be able to determine what is using up the space on disc in that manner.
    I am sure, however, that this isn't a OneCare issue, though it would be helpful if OneCare was able to perform a more thorough "cleanup" of the disk to show you where your space is being used and what you could recover.

I'll add that the IE error is also not likely related to OneCare and I'd recommend visiting here for help with IE:

Internet Explorer 7 Solution Center

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 1:21 PM