Case report RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

For some reason I cannot get a pretty simple report from the system. We are using this CRM as a helpdesk ticketing system. Our client wants to see;

account name
    owner/who serviced the ticket
    date range/ last 7 days
    contact/ the employee
    staus of case

for some reason you only have two primary fields to choose from and out of that it seems impossible to get all of these fileds in a report. You can get account and case but not with contact, or contact and case but not account and status etc,. I have tried every possible combination using several different primary choices but you cant eem to get the very basic and simple data mentioned above. If you have the answer please outline the selections instead of saying "yes you can get this data in a report" as that is not helpful.

Thanks and cudos to the person who can solve this!

by the way we have accounts "which are our clients/businesses" contacts "which are related to a particular business" and 5 users that are admins.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:15 PM

Answers

• If you're after a list of cases, head for Advanced Find.

The question I have which, for me, is unclear is are you associating the case to an account customer or a contact. Let's assume a contact.

The rules for the Advanced Find are pretty simple. All Cases with a status of Active where the Created On was in the Last 7 Days.

Now go to Edit Columns. The Account name you get to by clicking Add Columns, dropping down the Record Type to Customer (Contact) and selecting Parent Customer. Who serviced the ticket is the Case Owner. The Contact you get from the Case Customer and the Status/Status Reason of the Case is also there for the taking.

Once you get used to this you can save it as a personal view or repeat the process through Settings to make it a system-wide view.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Friday, October 30, 2009 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by sniffy45 Monday, November 2, 2009 2:26 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• Well

The account name can be accessed from the customerid attribute of the case
    The owner name can be accessed from the ownerid attribute of the case
    The date range must be on the case (I guess)
    The contact name can be accessed from the (can't remember) attribute of the case
    The status is on the case

So, do you need extra data except the name of the account, contact and owner?

If not, you just need to put Case as the primary entity

If you need extra data, I think you will need to develop a report using SQL Business Intelligence Studio
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com You will find: Form Javascript Manager (export/import javascript from forms) ISV.Config Manager (graphical ISV.config edition - export/import) View Layout replicator (customize one view and replicate to others) And others (use tool tag on my blog)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Right so if I put Account that gives me the business unit we are supporting
    if I put the case that gives me the cases for that business unit

Now you cannot get the contact from the account which is the customer you are working with. And without the account ot segragate your contacts there is no useful report. The only way I was able to trick the system was import in the contact field of the report every contact associated with that account which is not a good workaround becuase it has to be constantly maintained.

Just so you understand what I need. A report that contains a business "account", with a customer "contact", with the status of the case, from the last 7 days, with the owner "the tech working the case"

Again this is an elementary request from a rather complex system and Im blown away that it is not an available report, or Im just stupid.. I'll accept either ;-)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:58 PM
  • If you're after a list of cases, head for Advanced Find.

The question I have which, for me, is unclear is are you associating the case to an account customer or a contact. Let's assume a contact.

The rules for the Advanced Find are pretty simple. All Cases with a status of Active where the Created On was in the Last 7 Days.

Now go to Edit Columns. The Account name you get to by clicking Add Columns, dropping down the Record Type to Customer (Contact) and selecting Parent Customer. Who serviced the ticket is the Case Owner. The Contact you get from the Case Customer and the Status/Status Reason of the Case is also there for the taking.

Once you get used to this you can save it as a personal view or repeat the process through Settings to make it a system-wide view.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Friday, October 30, 2009 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by sniffy45 Monday, November 2, 2009 2:26 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:02 PM
  •  Hi Leon,

Thanks so much! It didnt seem logical to use the find tool to build a report or a query but then again its Microsoft, the only system you have to press shut down to actually restart, hahaha.

Thanks again.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 2:28 PM