Outlook Client Won't Install, IgnoreChecks Doesn't Fix Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install the Outlook CRM Desktop Client on two new Windows 7 64bit machines, one is running Windows 7 Pro and the other is on Ultimate. I am getting the same identical error on both machines - pending reboot click Ok and then the installer closers.

There are several posts on this forum about adding the a registry key as follows to get around the environmental wizard check, however, after doing it, the results are the same. What is not happening after adding the key is there should be a Next button in the pending reboot window to allow to ignore the warning and continue with the installation. It isn't there.  (HKEY Current User\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient\ and then add a DWord (32 bit) of IgnoreChecks with the decimal value of 1.
    )

Any new suggestions?

Jerry

Jerry
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:03 PM

Answers

• Jerry
    Can you check and see whats going on in the Reg key from the error log...? 
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

See if you can find out which keys are there, and what the contents of the key value that is called "ContentMerger" contains... this seems to be the reason the EDW keeps failing on setup.
    Thanks!
    -Paul
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:07 PM

All replies

• Outlook is configured and started once on these machines?
    Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:14 PM
  • yes.
    Jerry
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Can you access the crm url from web client ?
    Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:17 PM
  • yes we can.
    Jerry
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Jerry,
    You'll have to pull the logs for any of us to help you with this. Please navigate to the following folder on both machines:

C:\Users\<YourUser>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs

Where <YourUser> is the username of the person installing. Look for a file named "crm40foroutlookinstaller-<date>.log"...
    Open that file in NOTEPAD, and search for the first time you see the word "ERROR". See if you can grab all the information around the word... like so:

10:24:25|  Error| Microsoft Outlook is running. To continue configuring Microsoft 

Obviously yours might have Multiple error lines and it could also stretch to more than one line, just get as much as you can and past it in your next reply.

Thanks!
    -Paul
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:20 PM
  • 11:23:37|   Info| User: tina.

11:23:37|   Info| Invoked with command line: "C:\client2\setupclient.exe"

11:23:37|   Info| Running C:\client2\setupclient.exe

11:23:37|   Info|  is not currently installed.

11:23:37|   Info| System Memory: 8580620288 Bytes

11:23:37|Warning| Error RebootError

11:23:37|  Error| Error: Reboot required

11:23:37|  Error| Key Found: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx contains ContentMerger

11:23:47|   Info| Clean up the BITS downloader. 

11:23:47|   Info| === Setup bootstrap logging ended 12/30/2009 11:23:47 AM ===

Jerry
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

it looks like you've added the key in the wrong path. See http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2009/11/24/outlook-crm-client-%E2%80%93-constant-pending-reboot/
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Nope, the key is definitely in the correct path. And just for grins I imported their zip file and it confirmed it was already there.

Jerry
    Jerry
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Jerry
    Can you check and see whats going on in the Reg key from the error log...? 
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

See if you can find out which keys are there, and what the contents of the key value that is called "ContentMerger" contains... this seems to be the reason the EDW keeps failing on setup.
    Thanks!
    -Paul
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Paul,

There is one runonceEX

ContentMerger - c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\SharedCOM\ContentMerger10.exe

In Wow6432Node, Microsoft,Windows,Current Version

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Honestly, I would make a backup of that registry entry... delete that key, and then restart the install... see if it works, or if you get a new error please post it back.
    -Paul
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Thanks everyone that has helped.

I have it working now.

The issue is the Roxio Burning crapware that Dell pre-installed on the machines. Once I removed the RunonceEX key it installed without a hitch.

Jerry

Jerry
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Hello,

If somebody is having this issue : I managed to bypass the pending restart message doing the following: Remove any existing outlook client. Restart the computer. Log in the user's computer as yourself (Administrator). Install outlook client (I did not received the pending restart then). Log out, Log in as the user and open the user's outlook. If the CRM menu doesn't show up after this (It happen for me once) then uninstall, restart the computer and reinstall.

This does not look like a very "professionnal" solution but I could not enable CRM tracing at the time of the install and that did the trick for me !
    Good luck with the issue

Clo
    Clo
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:28 PM