Verizon MIFI and WHS configuration problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

I recently reached the point to where I need a basic server set up to more effectively work with my business partners on client cases. We will be using the server to share data through the remote connection, and to back up the files we need to work with. As such, I purchased a copy of WHS and installed it on a spare Dell machine. Installation was very easy, but now I'm completely stumped.

I connect to the internet with a Verizon MIFI service from home. No other high speed internet other than satellite (which we cancelled for the faster Verizon service) is available in my rural community. Here's where I'm confused. If I connect the Mifi directly to the Server, I cannot use the Mifi unit as a hotspot for the rest of my home network to function (unless I'm doing something wrong). That's absolutely not going to work, becase it's vital for me to be able to work from a different machine. But WHS documentation says that you must connect the WHS computer by ethernet connection to the router. That's not possible with this type of device, it connects by USB.

I was going to buy a wireless card for the WHS machine, but the manual says this will not work.

Is there a solution to setting up the WHS to work without cutting the other network computers off from the internet, or am I completely out of luck? I hope I haven't mistakenly bought a piece of software that will not work with my type of internet access. Will I need to set this system up at another location such as one of my partner's homes in order to make this work properly or are there options that aren't obvious?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Will
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:29 AM

All replies

• I am not familiar with that type of router, but are you sure there isn't an option for it to connect via ethernet instead of USB?  Most routers that offer a USB option also have ethernet.  If that is the case you will then need a router inb etween your WHS and the internet modem.  The WHS will try to configure the router automatically for remote access.  You may want to call your Internet provider and see if they can offer you another modem.  many companies will offer a few different models.

I think you made the right choice in purchasing the WHS software. I use it for these exact reasons for a few of my clients and they love it.  I think once you get the modem issue resolved you'll love the WHS.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:40 PM