WHS v2 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone have any idea when approximately this year the Windows home server version 2 will be coming out ?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:44 PM

Answers

• There have been no official announcements...
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:20 AM

All replies

• There have been no official announcements...
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:20 AM

• will it be sold separately (software only) like version 1 or will you have to get a hardware unit ?

Also, any way we can reserve our copy of it through store or ms for when it becomes available ?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Anyone have any idea when approximately this year the Windows home server version 2 will be coming out ?

I don't think it will be this year.  It's not even in Beta yet.
    --
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:20 AM

• will it be sold separately (software only) like version 1 or will you have to get a hardware unit ?

Also, any way we can reserve our copy of it through store or ms for when it becomes available ?

I'm pretty sure that availablity of WHSv2 will be similar to WHSv1.
    --
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:22 AM

Windows Home Server V1 is sold in two forms:
    1. An OEM hardware/software package, such as the HP MediaSmart Server. With this you receive support from the OEM.
    2. A "system builder" package, which is intended to be installed on (semi-) custom hardware by a small computer builder and delivered to an end user as a hardware/software package. In this case, support comses from the system builder.
    Strictly speaking "system builder" packages are not intended to be available to the general public (they often require a good bit of technical knowledge and problem-solving ability to use successfully), but there are a large number of loopholes in the channel which allow e.g. NewEgg and Amazon to sell the software to the public directly.

At this time, Microsoft has not made any public statements about how any future versions of Windows Home Server will be distributed. If they do choose to go to a retail software-only channel as an option, the installation experience will need to be dramatically improved, and they will need to offer direct support of the product themselves, both things which may be quite expensive.

Regarding reserving a copy, ask your preferred online or brick-and-mortar retailer. They're the ones who allow you to "reserve" software...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Sure it is for some of us. I am running it right now. Looks better and the remote service is working alot better.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:19 AM