Thoughts From A Relatively New User RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS at home for about four months on a little Asus Mini TS box (very nice piece of equipment) and at work to backup a bunch of virtualized test machines.  I'm quite pleased with the product; you folks nailed it on this one.

There are a couple things that mildly bug me, and a quick search here didn't register any hits, so for the sake of discussion:

#1: I have a couple of older laptops that don't get very much use.  Unlike desktops, I have some emotional reluctance to jettison laptops.  But if I don't turn 'em on every five days, WHS will get all hot-and-bothered about not being backed up in the approved period of time.  I sure wish I could configure the warning time period on a per-machine basis.  Once a month would be sufficient for some of these guys.

#2: Sometimes when I turn on a laptop to allow it to be backed up, the backup starts immediately.  It takes over the processors so heavily that I can't even swipe my finger to log in (these are various Thinkpads), although I can usually get in via textual password entry.  Other times, I log in and get the "backup will start soon" message and have to wait five minutes for the automatic backup to start, or to manually start the backup.   And sometimes it doesn't want to back me up at all, at least in the first few minutes, and I again force a manual backup.  Guess I don't understand the algorithms at play here!  And I wish I could manually cause an automatic backup (!) so that the backup isn't named "Manual Backup" and I don't have to go in and change the retention from "retain" to "manage automatically".  Make sense?

Thanks for listening!

Art

Friday, April 9, 2010 6:39 PM

Answers

1. You can change the period by editing the registry on the server, though this isn't supported. See this thread for more information. Or you can tell your server to "turn off" backups for a PC; you will no longer be warned if you do so.
    2. If your backup period is set to overlap normal use of a PC, it's possible for a backup to start immediately upon booting the PC. This is by design; if the PC has missed the time it was actually scheduled to back up, but the window is still open, it will usually start the backup almost instantly. If you're outside the window entirely, no automatic backup will occur. The intent is that you will set your backup window for a period when your home computers aren't in use, then you'll leave your home computers on, or in hibernation, and they'll back themselves up automatically.
      If you have a strong need to force a particular machine to back up at a particular time, you could configure it to run a scheduled task which would execute the command C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\backupengine.exe -a . This will run an automatic backup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 9, 2010 10:00 PM

All replies

1. You can change the period by editing the registry on the server, though this isn't supported. See this thread for more information. Or you can tell your server to "turn off" backups for a PC; you will no longer be warned if you do so.
    2. If your backup period is set to overlap normal use of a PC, it's possible for a backup to start immediately upon booting the PC. This is by design; if the PC has missed the time it was actually scheduled to back up, but the window is still open, it will usually start the backup almost instantly. If you're outside the window entirely, no automatic backup will occur. The intent is that you will set your backup window for a period when your home computers aren't in use, then you'll leave your home computers on, or in hibernation, and they'll back themselves up automatically.
      If you have a strong need to force a particular machine to back up at a particular time, you could configure it to run a scheduled task which would execute the command C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\backupengine.exe -a . This will run an automatic backup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 9, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Thank you, Ken.  I'm most appreciative of this useful information.

Art

Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:19 AM