Why can't a contact be converted to a lead? RRS feed

• Question

• Given that you are able to track contacts in outlook and sync these with dynamics, I can't for the life of me understand why there is no way to convert this into a lead, out of the box. 

You can convert emails into a lead, which whilst is useful for keeping communication exchanges in one place, it doesn't enable you to quickly populate contact information and sync data in a logical way.

As it stands, Dynamics is so limited because there are stages of qualification before becoming a genuine lead. 

Friday, June 26, 2015 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hello there,

This is what the CRM help files says: "By using Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook , you can save individual Outlook contacts, appointments, e-mail messages, and tasks as Microsoft Dynamics CRM records and activities and then link them to a related Microsoft Dynamics CRM record, such as a contact, account, or lead." But, when you actually follow the instructions, the only options available are setting the contact up in CRM as an Account or a Contact. Lead is not available as one of the options.

As an OOB functionality, you cant convert a contact into a lead. However this can be achieved using a workflow, I can suggest you creating a on demand workflow to convert contacts into leads cause I guess you wont be converting all your contacts to leads. Use a step to create a contact using lead fields and then disqulify the lead. In case you want to delete the contact you would have to write a code as workflow cant delete a record.

So when ever you want to create leads from contacts, you can run this workflow.

Hope it helps!

Regards, Abhishek Bakshi If you find this post helpful then please Vote as Helpful and Mark As Answer. Check my blog on https://mydynamicscrmblog.wordpress.com/

Friday, June 26, 2015 11:35 AM