Help! EX495 Online Ok For 5-10 Minutes, Drive Lights Go Dark/can't Ping, Power Cycle/repeats, Freezes, Help! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in panic mode. My EX495 has been running fine for a long time and now it's crapping out on me.

(4 BLUE Drive Lights go DARK, Network Health light was Blue now Blinking RED)

A couple months ago, I had a few weeks period where I noticed that out of the blue, the server will go offline at random. Rebooting fixes it and it was good for another week or longer. It was then good for many months.

Well now, as of today the once random freeze is down to a short 5 or 10 minutes! (I can only keep it online for a short period of time)

What's most likely wrong a software or hardware problem?

As soon as I can no longer access shares, and the system tray icon for WHS turns from Green to Grey, I can't ping it.
    (the 4 hard drive blue lights go dark, but the bottom LED lights are still active)

When I hit the power button in the back, it immediately shuts off (no delay what so ever)

Should I use the 5-10 minute window to try and install anti virus? WHSClamAV?

I disabled services such as Vuse and others I created. (no change)

I'm looking for advise on how to get this thing back. Should I bite the bullet and do an OS restore?

I'm ready to upgrade my hardware to something new, but the AWIECO isnt available to order yet. I thought I could limp by until I get it, but now I'm nearly stuck!

Anyone Anyone? (I can post more details if needed) 

Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:29 PM

Answers

• I ran the long scan via SeaTools for DOS

After an hour of scanning, I was presented with the option to try and repair bad sectors.  It failed!

I gave up and did a server restore on a fresh hard drive.

Luckily all my data and folders are there so I'm good to go!  (time to re-customize everything, oh well)

Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:43 AM

All replies

• Most likely it's a hardware issue. If you check your product documentation, you'll find that the lights on the bottom display a code when the server boots up which may give you some insight into the issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:23 AM
  •  

Update:

I took out the main WHS OS drive and hooked it up to my desktop via ESATA cable w/ External power. (so I can test it)

At Bios post (before windows) I get a S.M.A.R.T. error (REMOVE/REPLACE) message. 

I hit F1 to continue, and Windows can still see the data on this drive just fine!   I ran SeaTools S.M.A.R.T. check and it failed right away.   I didnt do the short/long disk test though as I am anxious to try and clone it right away

I'm assuming that because of the S.M.A.R.T. errors, it is causing the EX495 (or maybe just the drive itself) to shut down after 10 minutes or so.
    (but the EX495 shut down doesn't fully complete) 

Since I can see the drive, I'm going to attempt to CLONE this 1.5GB OS drive to a spare 1.5GB drive.

I read that the open source CloneZilla will successfully clone a WHS system disk. (since it copies the hidden diskpart ID info as well)

Ok, well I ran CloneZilla, and it got about 30% done when it bombed out with an error.
    (something about the disk surface being physically corrupted)

My next thing will be to run SeaTools LONG scan in hopes that it will do some type of low level recovery for me.

I'm running out of options (and hope) at this point, so I'm about to quit, toss the drive, and restore to a vanilla state on a new drive.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:20 AM
  • At Bios post (before windows) I get a S.M.A.R.T. error (REMOVE/REPLACE) message.
    This alone is enough to say the drive is dead. You should check this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:47 AM
  • I ran the long scan via SeaTools for DOS

After an hour of scanning, I was presented with the option to try and repair bad sectors.  It failed!

I gave up and did a server restore on a fresh hard drive.

Luckily all my data and folders are there so I'm good to go!  (time to re-customize everything, oh well)

Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:43 AM