locked
301 Redirects and old URLs RRS feed

  • Question

  • In March 2008, we launched a completely redesigned site, changing many of our folders and files.  To prevent 404 errors, we created 301 redirects to the new pages.  Other search engines (i.e. Google, Yahoo) have long ago realized the structure has changed and adapted the quick links and listings for our site with the new destination folders and files, but Live is still stuck in the past.

    The question is, does the robot ignore the 301 information or just refuse to give up on old links for some reason?  Is there some other redirect type I should be using so Live will know to update the destination URL?

    I am tempted to ask to have the links removed, but I'm worried Live won't know about the new links well enough to add those in place of the old links.  I've done what I can as far as having a sitemap.xml since the re-launch (verified, last crawled 1/31/09) AND a sitemap page with html links on the site.  The other search engines have picked up on this, so I'm wondering, is it something I haven't done right to include Live, or is it just that Live isn't working that well?

    Also, I just thought I'd mention that the url I'm talking about is not an obscure one that only receives a couple clicks; we have steady traffic each day in significant numbers and frequent enough content change to prompt routine crawling.

    Thanks!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

  • If you need help in the future, let me know.


    Thanks,


    Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Proposed as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:25 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:38 PM

All replies

  • Hi Bigrhyno,

    Could you provide the domain name as well as specific URL examples and I will take a look?


    Many thanks,


    Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    Monday, February 2, 2009 6:42 PM
  • On a second look, it appears the header was sending 302 redirect response in some of the cases.  I have made some changes so it should now send 301 for all of them.  I'm not sure how the other engines figured out the change with a 302...

    I'll wait and see if the changes cause it to update over time.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:00 PM
  • If you need help in the future, let me know.


    Thanks,


    Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Proposed as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:25 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Please see my latest post on this thread:

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/webmastercrawling/thread/8565af30-69e6-42b6-b57c-486960a026ce

    I have sent an e-mail on 4/29/09 requesting more help and have not received a response.

    Thank you!
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:40 PM