can not install dell software RRS feed

• Question

• my dell laptop had a virus in it.it shut down system restore,task manager,re-wrote system files.i ended up wiping the hard drive clean,re-installed my os,went to dell and got all the updated drivers and software they had for my laptop. every time i try to install the wireless software for my wi-fi,i get setup error, Setup.rul "380". how do i get around this. please help???
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:14 AM

Answers

• I had the same issue.  Took a re-format and two Dell tech suppot chat sessions but the second guy nailed it.  I had to use a previous version of the driver, R202477, for my Latitude D830.  Hint: when on the Dell driver download page and you locate you driver there is a description that reads "applies to:".  Click on the Wireless 1390WLAN MiniCard link then you can choose "other versions" to find the older drivers.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:50 AM
  • The older Driver worked,  there seems to be an issue with Driver revision's 22+  used A17 and it worked fine Link: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/previousversions.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=Latitude%20D630&releaseid=R219871&vercnt=7&deviceid=9805&formatcnt=1&releasetype=DRVR&servicetag=&catid=-1&libid=5&impid=-1&osl=en&os=WW1

This is wireless 1390 only.   I was able to duplicate this issue on 2 install's of windows both times the older driver worked fine.   So evan osri will not fix the issue just uninstall and reinstall the older driver. 

Update: I instlled the older driver and then tryed to update it with the newest one and it took the driver with out giving the same error. 

Fix for Error: Setup.rul 380

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Do you have any of the .Net stuff on the machine? I had a similar problem with a D530 and release A25-1 of the driver package. I initially attempted to install the thing as soon as I had XP updated to SP3. I got that "Setup.rul 380" error, but was able to install the driver only the old fashioned way through Device Manager. I next installed all the .Net stuff, from 1.1 to 3.5/SP1 and its compatibilty updates and tried the install again. This time it worked perfectly. It appears that something, probably the installer program itself, requires some flavor of .Net, though I can't find any documentation to that effect.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Same issue and an earlier rev fixed Dell 620.
    thanks
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 5:20 AM

• Had the same problem today.  You just need to install .Net 1 (SP1) and then .Net 2 (SP1) then the install will work fine.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Okay, the problem (at least in my case) is that the installer requires .NET 2.0 with service pack 1 and not just .NET 2.0.

The folks at Dell were no help in explaining why the installer needed SP1.  They could only tell me that, "... it is for making the driver more secure."

No explanation as to why this wasn't documented and they could only tell me to update to .NET 3.5 in our build images (as if that's just something that you can whip off in an afternoon).
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:13 PM

All replies

• Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.
    Kukjin Lee

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:59 PM
  • I had the same issue.  Took a re-format and two Dell tech suppot chat sessions but the second guy nailed it.  I had to use a previous version of the driver, R202477, for my Latitude D830.  Hint: when on the Dell driver download page and you locate you driver there is a description that reads "applies to:".  Click on the Wireless 1390WLAN MiniCard link then you can choose "other versions" to find the older drivers.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:50 AM
  • The older Driver worked,  there seems to be an issue with Driver revision's 22+  used A17 and it worked fine Link: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/previousversions.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=Latitude%20D630&releaseid=R219871&vercnt=7&deviceid=9805&formatcnt=1&releasetype=DRVR&servicetag=&catid=-1&libid=5&impid=-1&osl=en&os=WW1

This is wireless 1390 only.   I was able to duplicate this issue on 2 install's of windows both times the older driver worked fine.   So evan osri will not fix the issue just uninstall and reinstall the older driver. 

Update: I instlled the older driver and then tryed to update it with the newest one and it took the driver with out giving the same error. 

Fix for Error: Setup.rul 380

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Do you have any of the .Net stuff on the machine? I had a similar problem with a D530 and release A25-1 of the driver package. I initially attempted to install the thing as soon as I had XP updated to SP3. I got that "Setup.rul 380" error, but was able to install the driver only the old fashioned way through Device Manager. I next installed all the .Net stuff, from 1.1 to 3.5/SP1 and its compatibilty updates and tried the install again. This time it worked perfectly. It appears that something, probably the installer program itself, requires some flavor of .Net, though I can't find any documentation to that effect.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:04 AM
  • my dell laptop had a virus in it.it shut down system restore,task manager,re-wrote system files.i ended up wiping the hard drive clean,re-installed my os,went to dell and got all the updated drivers and software they had for my laptop. every time i try to install the wireless software for my wi-fi,i get setup error, Setup.rul "380". how do i get around this. please help???
    The error "Setup.rul "380"" Is caused by not having .NET 2.0 or higher installed. This is because the Software that controls the card is trying to be installed with the driver also. But installing only the driver will work as well. I my self would let windows manage the card over the Dell Wireless Manager.

In order to fix this issue without installing .NET 2.0 or higher please follow my directions below. Also remember what the folder name is for the Wireless driver you downloaded. It will be RXXXXX

This is easily fixed another way. Right click "My Computer" then click on "Manage" Then click on "Device Manager" Then right click on your wireless network card. You will then need to click on "Update Driver". A box will pop up. Click on "No, not this time". Now click "Next". Now click on "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". Now click on "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." In the list select "Network Adapter" and click next. Now click on "Have Disk". Now click on "Browse". On the left side click on "My Computer". Now go to "C:\Dell\Drivers\RXXXXX\" NOTE: You may see that it has a lot of folders. Select the folder that's best for your install of Windows. Then when you do this you will be left with one file to select. Select that file and click ok.

The system will then install that driver. You won't get the fancy Dell Wireless software installed with it. But letting windows manage the card is better anyway.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Same issue and an earlier rev fixed Dell 620.
    thanks
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 5:20 AM

• Had the same problem today.  You just need to install .Net 1 (SP1) and then .Net 2 (SP1) then the install will work fine.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Okay, the problem (at least in my case) is that the installer requires .NET 2.0 with service pack 1 and not just .NET 2.0.

The folks at Dell were no help in explaining why the installer needed SP1.  They could only tell me that, "... it is for making the driver more secure."

No explanation as to why this wasn't documented and they could only tell me to update to .NET 3.5 in our build images (as if that's just something that you can whip off in an afternoon).
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:13 PM
  • r213721 worked for me on my vostro 1720 dell..Thanks for leading me down the right trail.

Found it in the applies to: just as was stated.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:32 PM