HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 1 TB Hard Drive) RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am very interested in buying them HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 1 TB Hard Drive). I just have a few questions before I make such a pricey investment.

I have 4 computers on my network, one running XP Pro, XP Home, Vista Home Premium and Vista Basic. They are all 32-bit OS. When it says HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 1 TB Hard Drive)

Does this matter at all that my computers are all 32-bit and the Smart Server will be 64-bit?

Also a bit off topic, if I tell the server to backup all of my computers fully will it eat up ALOT of HD space??

Your advice would be greatly appreciated,

John McKnight

Saturday, December 1, 2007 10:43 PM

Answers

• home server is 32bit the processor has 64bit extensions. at this time your computers need to be 32bit. you will use close to the same ammount of space that you use on you computer. i would recemond building a computer if you can. ive read in some of the post about the hp being a little slow sometimes. and their will be addons to use more processor power. i over built mine and its fast even the remote desktop. and the hp has a 200watt power supplie whish i dont see working well in a year when its loaded with hard drives and usb drives. the last thing is if you build you will have better and faster components for about the same price.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 10:57 PM

All replies

• home server is 32bit the processor has 64bit extensions. at this time your computers need to be 32bit. you will use close to the same ammount of space that you use on you computer. i would recemond building a computer if you can. ive read in some of the post about the hp being a little slow sometimes. and their will be addons to use more processor power. i over built mine and its fast even the remote desktop. and the hp has a 200watt power supplie whish i dont see working well in a year when its loaded with hard drives and usb drives. the last thing is if you build you will have better and faster components for about the same price.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 10:57 PM
  • what would I need to build my own?? Could I just buy a 1TB HD and throw it in there? The computer I would use has like a pentium 4 and 1 GB of RAM and right now a 160GB HD....

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:01 PM
  • check to see if your mother board cip set supports server 2003. if it does you should be good to go. i would also buy 500 gig drives. the price/gb ratio is better. load server on a large drive. also you can download the trial and give it a shot with what you have now and you out no money.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:11 PM
  •  david 1000 wrote:
    check to see if your mother board cip set supports server 2003. if it does you should be good to go. i would also buy 500 gig drives. the price/gb ratio is better. load server on a large drive. also you can download the trial and give it a shot with what you have now and you out no money.

how can I see if my chip wll support 2003?

This is much appreciated advice, your getting me excited!!!!

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:15 PM
  • look in system info and see what chipset you have then search the web or go to microsoft server 2003 compatibly guid to get thier just go to microsoft.com and search thier.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:19 PM
  •  

So what if I just install Home server without checking, to be honest I dont know how to check..... all of this chipset and go look her i have no idea...

So what if i just ordered the trial and installed what would I be looking for bad wise....?

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:36 PM
  • your worst case is it doest work and you put windows back on it wont do any damage.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:42 PM
  •  

Just Curious if anyone could enlighten me on something. I have one of the units that this thread is discussing. HP boasts that this device as having the AMD Live! 64 Bit Processor, and on AMD's Web SIte (http://www.amdlive.com/us-en/about.aspx), and I'll quote "AMD LIVE! PCs are powered by AMD64 dual-core processors."

However, when I run CPU-Z on my home server, it states that it is only a single core processor:

CPU-Z 1.44.1 report file

Processor(s)  
    Number of processors 1
    Number of cores 1 per processor
    Number of threads 1 per processor
    Name AMD Sempron 3400+
    Code Name Manila
    Specification AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+
    Package Socket AM2 (940)
    Family/Model/Stepping F.F.2
    Extended Family/Model F.4F
    Brand ID 6
    Core Stepping DH-F2
    Technology 90 nm
    Core Speed 1000.1 MHz
    Multiplier x Bus speed 5.0 x 200.0 MHz
    HT Link speed 800.1 MHz
    Stock frequency 1800 MHz
    Instruction sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
    L1 Data cache (per processor) 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache (per processor) 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Is this correct??? I was under the assumption that it was actually a dual core processor when I bought it.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:56 PM