Project server 2007/2010 permission for views in data analysis RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have question regarding project server 2007/2010 permission for views in data analysis

I have create a view for data analysis. This view use to displays project list and their effort details. The issue is, when Project Manager access this report through data analysis he/she can select all project from project list even though some projects are not belongs to him/her. but in the home page it show only the project belongs to him/her. how restrict this project list in the data analysis view?

thank you,
    Sampath
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:41 AM

Answers

• Hello Sampath,

The behavior you see is what I would expect.  The security model in OLAP is not as granular as the security model within SharePoint in both 2007 and 2010.

What you can do in Project Sever 2010, is build OLAP cubes based on departments. So this may provide views where the PM is only seeing projects or programs within his department.

One other thing you can do, is if you really want to deep dive into OLAP, would be to open up the OLAP cube using Visual Studio 2010.  I would assume project server is not supported, when you take it to this level, but once you open the cube with VS2010, you will have more flexiability to control the cube.  I would basically use DTS to copy the cube and redefine the security model.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MDCBA
    www.WhartonComputer.Com

• Marked as answer by Chris Boyd Monday, February 15, 2010 8:42 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:52 PM

All replies

• Hello Sampath,

The behavior you see is what I would expect.  The security model in OLAP is not as granular as the security model within SharePoint in both 2007 and 2010.

What you can do in Project Sever 2010, is build OLAP cubes based on departments. So this may provide views where the PM is only seeing projects or programs within his department.

One other thing you can do, is if you really want to deep dive into OLAP, would be to open up the OLAP cube using Visual Studio 2010.  I would assume project server is not supported, when you take it to this level, but once you open the cube with VS2010, you will have more flexiability to control the cube.  I would basically use DTS to copy the cube and redefine the security model.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MDCBA
    www.WhartonComputer.Com

• Marked as answer by Chris Boyd Monday, February 15, 2010 8:42 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hello Michael,

thank you for your help.

Sampath
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:25 AM