0.7" thick hard drives? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know what the highest capacity drive is that is available in a 0.7" thick package? I'm thinking of designing a 2 in 1 SATA backplane but will only go through the trouble if high capacity drives exist in this size. Unfortunately most drive manufacturers make you dig through their datasheets to determine the height of their drives.

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:47 AM

Answers

• All laptop hard drives (2.5" form factor) are .75" or less in height, and top out at 250 GB. 3.5" drives are a minimum of 1" in height.

So any laptop drive will probably be suitable physically. Is 250 GB suffiecient capacity, though?
    Friday, August 17, 2007 11:44 AM

All replies

• All laptop hard drives (2.5" form factor) are .75" or less in height, and top out at 250 GB. 3.5" drives are a minimum of 1" in height.

So any laptop drive will probably be suitable physically. Is 250 GB suffiecient capacity, though?
    Friday, August 17, 2007 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

MobileMax Ultra ATA 80-GB Hard Drive

As example, these thick range will be within the mobile internal hard disk. all the normal desktop internal hard disk, come within the thick range of 1" and up.

My best.

Update: Ken always post befor me, and indeed much better info Smile
    Friday, August 17, 2007 11:58 AM
  • I was refering to slim desktop drives, not laptop drives. The 3.5" drive spec has three height options 0.7", 1.028", and 1.645" The highest capacity slim drive that I know about is the Maxtor DiamondMax 21 320GB (STM3320820AS) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any higher capacity slim drives.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

I know what you mean, problem with that, it hard to find atleast within the direct consumer produect issue.

Did you seach the 2.5 one? That 320gb is good, I could not manage to find this size with 0.7 hight matters.

Best to see some ultra "slim" laptops that use larg size hard disk, and see what brand the HD, and ask for replacement buying issue (if that allowed issue tho).

My best.

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:58 PM
  • I forgot, these external slim HD, are within the range of lower than 0.7, and with some like 400, like WD one. But cost issue tho.

My best.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Unless you require two in raid 0 or 1 why wouldn't you jsut go a little thicker and use 1 750 gig drive wich would probably stil end up being less cost than two large size small factor drives. I saw an article on Anandtech the other day saying 1Tb laptop drives will be here withing a couple years. W00T

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:29 PM
  • I already considured 2.5" drives. I can fit 4 2.5" drives into 1 5.25" drive bay but this doesn't give me enough capacity and the drives are expensive. I can fit 4 (or even 5) 3.5" drives into 3 5.25" bays but was hoping to squeeze them into 2 bays. (SFF cube cases don't have 3 bays.)

Friday, August 17, 2007 4:30 PM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:

I already considured 2.5" drives. I can fit 4 2.5" drives into 1 5.25" drive bay but this doesn't give me enough capacity and the drives are expensive. I can fit 4 (or even 5) 3.5" drives into 3 5.25" bays but was hoping to squeeze them into 2 bays. (SFF cube cases don't have 3 bays.)

Hi,

Yes, with removable mobile rack cage, but consider this, heat will build-up if you want to go in your way tho, and that not good for the HDD.

My best.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 4:39 PM