DIY WHS: Hard drive options RRS feed

• Question

• I have several "like new" 40GB IDE hard drives. Also have ample quantities of 500+GB SATA drives.

I'd actually like to get these 40s off my shelf and back into action.

In putting together a new WHS, what do you think of using one or more 40GB drives to set up a new WHS? Any reason to use two and set them up as RAID 1? Or is using the disk manager to configure as software RAID 1 a "no-no"?

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:50 AM

Answers

• RAID is not supported by WHS, and you'll find the 40's to be next to useless. You know, 1TB SATAs can be had for $159 these days.

No problem using the 500's. You know they'll be formatted by WHS, right?

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:12 AM

All replies

• RAID is not supported by WHS, and you'll find the 40's to be next to useless. You know, 1TB SATAs can be had for $159 these days.

No problem using the 500's. You know they'll be formatted by WHS, right?

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Hmm. Thanks. Guess I send those small drives to the recycler.

I did use an 80gb SATA to set up WHS on another computer -- then adding two 500gb SATAs. Seems to work okay.

Are you suggesting just scrapping any use of smaller drives and simply stick with larger SATAs?

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:26 AM
  •  Ambusticated wrote:
    Hmm.

Are you suggesting just scrapping any use of smaller drives and simply stick with larger SATAs?

You will find that the WHS backup option consumes tons of disk space.  As does wisely turning on the duplication option for your important files. And how about when you decide to stream video as well as music? Think big.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:41 AM
  •  Ambusticated wrote:
    Hmm. Thanks. Guess I send those small drives to the recycler.

I did use an 80gb SATA to set up WHS on another computer -- then adding two 500gb SATAs. Seems to work okay.

well before you send the drives to the recycler, take a big hammer and hit them with it, so that no data can be recovered by other people, which you don't want to see recovered.

80 GB as system disk is not the best choice, since the free space on the d: drive (on the system drive) limits the size of files, you can copy in one step.

But then again, even this is such a huge size in comparision to what was modern a few years ago, that it may be also enough for a long time.

And yes, larger disks are always the better choice here, since they have the best price to storage relation.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:55 AM
  •  Ambusticated wrote:

I have several "like new" 40GB IDE hard drives. Also have ample quantities of 500+GB SATA drives.

I'd actually like to get these 40s off my shelf and back into action.

In putting together a new WHS, what do you think of using one or more 40GB drives to set up a new WHS? Any reason to use two and set them up as RAID 1? Or is using the disk manager to configure as software RAID 1 a "no-no"?

Since WHS will not accept anything less than 80gig for primary drives, then those several 40gig drive is better off acting as a secondary backup server for WHS itself. That is over 280gig of storage space you can add in a storage array for a low level Linux raid box, for ftp backup of your WHS.

If you need ideas on how to do this, I may be able to suggest a few tricks.

Good luck.

Hugh

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:23 AM
  • That may all depend. Do you really want the noise and the power consumption in comparision to one new disk?

If this all is no issue, go on.

Btw. - is that true with 80 GByte minimum size? The last time I got a message during some testing, the message still said something about 65 GByte.

Olaf

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:09 AM
  •  Olaf Engelke wrote:

That may all depend. Do you really want the noise and the power consumption in comparision to one new disk?

If this all is no issue, go on.

Btw. - is that true with 80 GByte minimum size? The last time I got a message during some testing, the message still said something about 65 GByte.

Olaf

Yes, at least that is the minimum requirement last time I checked.

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:30 AM
  • I think I will simply build my WHS using the largest available drives and use the smaller ones for other stuff. Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions.

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Per the Getting Started Guide the minimum size for the system drive is 70 GB. Since that's stated as manufacturers measure GB (109 bytes) it's 65.1± GB as measured by the operating system (231).
    Monday, August 25, 2008 4:24 PM