Expose external IP on homeserver domain web page? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there is an addin or otherwise easy to implement way to display your external ip address on your homeserver.com web page?

The idea is that if you need to know your external ip address for some reason (like streaming audio player), you can at a quick glance know it by bringing up the mainpage of your homeserver.com address.

I'd rather not have to worry about managing another dynamic dns service for this purpose since Windows Live is already handling it.

Thanks.

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:17 PM

Answers

• Im almost every situation, incl streaming, you should be able to use your home server address instead of an IP.

If you really do need an IP address then just open up a command promprt and type 'ping yourserver.homeserver.com' Smile

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:05 PM

All replies

• Im almost every situation, incl streaming, you should be able to use your home server address instead of an IP.

If you really do need an IP address then just open up a command promprt and type 'ping yourserver.homeserver.com' Smile

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:05 PM
  • That, of course, requires one's router (or perimeter firewall) be configured to reply to ICMP ping requests.
    Some of us turn that off (it reduces attack attempts on the router / firewall.)

But, if that's the case (as is mine), a simple nslookup (from the command prompt) will return the same result (one's external IP address.)

Still, yeah - the name address should pretty much always work.  "It works for me.."(tm)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:04 AM
  • There is a free service called dynweblink (www.dynweblink.com) which does precisely that. It requires the installation of a small applet which monitors your external ip.   You can obtain the current ip by logging into a secured website. You can also make the website available to friends (they'll need a password which you create, but is different from the password you use to maintain the service).

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:02 AM
  • I personally use firefox and the extension "ShowIP" that does just that.  But for every website, and has some links for domain tools.
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 1:51 PM