Can't enter XP serial RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Because I made a mess of Windows XP install I had to recover it from my friends install CD. But now it won't accept serial number I have on my laptop Windows sticker. I guess the problem is down to different licencing type (Volume, Personal), but I'm not an expert on this.

MS GAD tool said that Windows License Type is Volume. When I tried to change serial number by using steps from MS support site I got an error that serial number is not valid, though I checked a few times I typed it correctly.

What should I do? Can I use an installation CD with Personal Licencing if I can find it from someone, use it to reinstall Windows and enter my serial number?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 5:54 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you will have to do a clean re-install, but just to verify,

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy" at the bottom right of the window. Paste the results into your forum response by starting a new post/thread and holding down "CTRL" and clicking "V" while still having "CTRL" held

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 8:45 PM