Strange disk capacity numbers when two disks are enabled in WHS2 RRS feed

• Question

• Edit: Anwer is in the second post in this thread. Thanks!

Maybe I've missed the explanation in this Forum, but I'm hoping to understand why I'm seeing the disk and folder capacity numbers I'm seeing in WHS2. If I've missed this behavior in the Release Notes or elsewhere, I apologize.

Initially, I installed WHS2 on a 160 GB virtual disk in Hyper-V. Disk Management in WHS reported a 160 GB disk with a 60 GB System partition and a 100 GB "DE Disk" partition.

I ran a client backup (5 GB on the "Network Computer Backups" folder), and I also copied 15 GB of videos to the default "Videos" share.

"My Computer" reported drive sizes and "free" sizes that seemed appropriate to the 100 GB "DE Disk" partition. This is from memory, but I think "My Computer" showed around 70 GB of free space on the "empty" volumes. All perectly normal.

-------------------------------

Then I added a second, 127 GB, virtual disk to the WHS2 server and added it to the storage pool.

After reboots, I'm seeing numbers I don't understand:

- Disk Management sees the original 160 GB disk and the secondary 127 GB disk. Fine.

- "My Computer" reports:

C: 50.5 GB free of 59.9 GB (the same as before the addition of a second disk)
    U: 78.2 GB free of 83.0 GB (Network Computer Backups)
    V: 79.8 GB free of 80.0 GB (Recorded TV)
    W: 78.7 GB free of 94.4 GB (Videos)
    X: 79.8 GB free of 80.0 GB (Documents)
    Y: 79.8 GB free of 80.0 GB (Pictures)
    Z: 79.8 GB free of 80.0 GB (Music)

So I've stored a 5 GB backup image (on the U: Network Computer Backups folder) and 15 GB of videos (on the W: Videos share). Since duplication is automatically enabled, I'd expect to see 10 GB + 30 GB = 40 GB being used.

What I don't understand is how I could add a 127 GB disk to the storage pool and only see a "disk" capacity of around 80 GB. I've got a 100 GB primary DE partition and a 127 GB secondary DE partition, giving a total of (approximately) 227 GB of data capacity. I've only used 40 GB of storage, including both the original backups and videos along with the duplicates.

I also don't understand why the "empty" folders show a different disk capacity than the "populated" folders. It seems like WHS is adding the "used" space in a folder to its listed folder capacity. In any event, WHS seems to be reporting that the added 127 GB disk has only added 10 GB to the storage pool.

I understand about the 12% overhead and about the normal differences between disk size and actual capacity. But this seems way off.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:32 AM

Answers

• I think I have a guess as to why you are seeing those numbers, but it will require confirmation on your part.  When you only had one storage drive, duplication was turned off (of course) but once you added the second, duplication is enabled by default on all default shares.  You are probably looking at fully duplicated free space, so that's a more accurate measure of just how much data you can squeeze onto the pool with current duplication settings.

To confirm this, try tweaking your duplication settings.

• Marked as answer by Myron Johnson Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:08 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:07 AM

All replies

• I think I have a guess as to why you are seeing those numbers, but it will require confirmation on your part.  When you only had one storage drive, duplication was turned off (of course) but once you added the second, duplication is enabled by default on all default shares.  You are probably looking at fully duplicated free space, so that's a more accurate measure of just how much data you can squeeze onto the pool with current duplication settings.

To confirm this, try tweaking your duplication settings.

• Marked as answer by Myron Johnson Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:08 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Yeah, that's it. I feel dumb. I've never really done anything with Folder Duplication in WHS other than test recovery scenarios.

I disabled Folder Duplication in the empty V: "Recorded TV" drive and now it's showing:

V: 135 GB free of 136 GB

Details:

C: 50.5 GB free of 59.9 GB
    U: 80.9 GB free of 86.0 GB
    V: 135 GB free of 136 GB
    W: 81.7 GB free of 97.0 GB
    X: 82.8 GB free of 83.0 GB
    Y: 82.8 GB Free of 83.0 GB
    Z: 82.8 GB Free of 83.0 GB

With my 40 GB of already-used, already-duplicated storage space, the V: drive reading indicates I have approximately 176 GB of total storage space if I put any new files into the (unduplicated) V: drive.

Thanks for your answer.

Myron Johnson

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Great stuff! Thanks for the confirmation and the vote!
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:31 AM