How do I stop notifications permanently? RRS feed

• Question

• I have valid and legal copies of XP, they have passed the WGA tools many times when trying to download additional bonus software. In addition I have been in touch with the MS WGA team in relation to initial FFx issues through a firewall and they confirmed my copies are 110% legal and above board.

As I have a proven legal copy I have decided that I don't need to or want to install the notifications tool.

Unfortunately there seems to be a little problem, I am hoping an expert can provide a solution for it.

1) If I have my computer set to automatically download updates and install them at 3:00am my tests have just shown the notifications program gets installed without my permission.

2) If I choose to download automatically and install manually I am asked every time for permission. I am a little worried if I forget one day and unintentionally install this "spyware" onto my machines.

My question in plain and simple terms: "How do I indicate permanently that I do not give permission for notifications on any of my computers so that automatic updating can be restarted?"

Saturday, July 1, 2006 4:16 AM

Answers

•  glowworm62 wrote:
    I have valid and legal copies of XP, they have passed the WGA tools many times when trying to download additional bonus software. In addition I have been in touch with the MS WGA team in relation to initial FFx issues through a firewall and they confirmed my copies are 110% legal and above board.

As I have a proven legal copy I have decided that I don't need to or want to install the notifications tool.

Unfortunately there seems to be a little problem, I am hoping an expert can provide a solution for it.

1) If I have my computer set to automatically download updates and install them at 3:00am my tests have just shown the notifications program gets installed without my permission.

You gave the permission when you chose to download and INSTALL automatically.

glowworm62 wrote:

2) If I choose to download automatically and install manually I am asked every time for permission. I am a little worried if I forget one day and unintentionally install this "spyware" onto my machines.

The Notifications tool is not spyware.  Spyware has to spy on you; the Notifications Tool does not.

glowworm62 wrote:

My question in plain and simple terms: "How do I indicate permanently that I do not give permission for notifications on any of my computers so that automatic updating can be restarted?"

I know of no way to automatically refuse an update.  You will just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 4:46 PM

All replies

•  glowworm62 wrote:
    I have valid and legal copies of XP, they have passed the WGA tools many times when trying to download additional bonus software. In addition I have been in touch with the MS WGA team in relation to initial FFx issues through a firewall and they confirmed my copies are 110% legal and above board.

glowworm62 wrote:

The Notifications tool is not spyware.  Spyware has to spy on you; the Notifications Tool does not.

glowworm62 wrote:

I know of no way to automatically refuse an update.  You will just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 4:46 PM
  • I will italisise the only remaining question I would like an answer to. The rest is commentary and I don't expect an answer for it.

Can you please provide a URL that states in black and white that MS have the right to install software that reports back information of a nature I consider personal through the nature of my allowing automatic updates?

I thought the whole MS spiel in defense of this program was "we have given adequate notice, the EULA was explicit". As such, where is the statement on the MS web-site or in the process of activating automatic updates that this process waives the need for manual clickthough of an EULA and means consent is given for every update provided?

We will see what the courts in your country say, but here... a program that tracks your geographical location over time and reports that back along with information like serial numbers and other unique identifiers could very much be seen as spyware.

Without the geographical tracking you would probably be correct, but inclusion of this data tied to a unique ID (UGD in the reporting XML - which is SusClientID in registry) makes it a clear case of a corporation tracking movements.

If a corporation tracks a persons geographical movements in a non-anonymous manner without due notification then, I don't know about USA law, but here it's spying.

Thank-you for answering my question. It is as I suspected.

Anyone who chooses to accept the MS mandated default of install at 3am  will be laden with this software without due notification.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 11:34 AM
  • As stated in the FAQ, which I read earlier, it is not SPYWARE if the user agrees to have it installed. It may act like spyware, but it's not - if you allow it. I would like to not install it either, but it seems that Microsoft has painted us all into a corner by a couple of simple moves: first, we get AU; then WGA. I would like to upgrade my motherboard, and then my HDD, and would love to pass down my comp to the kids...seems unlikely now.

As it stands in my case, the yellow shield is still in my notification area. Waiting.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:39 AM
  • Not to worry, I've started converting people as a result.

1. My Sister-in-Law wanted a new notebook for internet browsing, basic word processing and watching movies. I recommended and helped her buy a Macbook Pro. What a nice machine, simple to use, fast, and some real nice features. She was over the moon with it, it did everything she wanted to do then some.

2. A Teacher at school wanted a new desktop. Apple to the rescue again. Similar results but without the accusations of piracy her desktop had just started giving her. It was an easy sell, I am finding people actually dislike being told they are doing something wrong. It scares them. After all these are the same people who ring me for support in fear every time their computer throws any form of strange dialogue box.

3. My nephews wanted to wipe their virus ridden Windows 98 machine that was used for 99% MSN and 1% browsing dubious sites. Out with the Linux CD a few minutes later they have Gaim plus Firefox. It took all of 30 seconds to explain the differences in UI plus it runs without crashing and a lot faster to boot.

4. As a result of this thread, and as our departments 600,000 seat MS education VLP runs out at the end of the year, as proof to those in control that it can be done I have just converted my lab of 57 PC's over to Linux. The kids have a wider range of high quality free software inside the lab and I can rest easier not re-imaging them every few weeks to remove spyware and other crud that Windows seems to pick up.

When "my" 800 odd kids leave the school I work in and enter the workplace they will now not be indoctrinated, who knows they might convince their employers to switch to other less accusative operating systems too.

5. All my home machines are now fully converted. The desktops and servers run Linux and I've sold my XP Laptop and bought a MacBook myself.  XP resides in a VMWare image on a desktop just in case I need to watch some DRMed WMA file, apart from that everything at home is converted.

There will be more conversions, I've been using MS since 1982, I've gone through DOS 1.1 to 6.2, Windows 2, 3, WFWG, 98, NT, ME, NT4, XP but not any more. From now I'm actively recommending the alternates to all my customers. I'll still get them an XP box if they insist but only after I've shown them the alternates in the flesh.

Microsoft, you tried to bite the hand that feeds you, you will now reap the whirlwind. With all this there is no real reason for me to post here again unless I get another customer who has a machine claiming thief, I've fully broken the addiction.

It will be interesting to see how long this post remains before it's censored ;)
    Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:02 AM
  • Here is another tech doing the same thing. I have already converted or test lab as a proof of concept and will be presenting to the ******** Metropolitan Government purchasing board in October.

For WGA to find a Govt purchased Dell not genuine is ludicrous.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:48 PM