Connect WHS V1 with WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've used a spare PC to install WHS2011 to see if I want to upgrade.  I have WHS2011 running fine and viewable from all the PC in the house.  I also have WHS V1 running on the same network.  The two servers don't see each other (share) but I can remote desktop in to one and ping the other. Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:21 PM

Answers

• Does \\server\sharename work?

If not, does \\ipaddress\sharename?

If only the later works: Does your router assign an external DNS suffix - pointing DNS name resolution requests going to an external system? In this case that would be possible the reason.

Eventually you should enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the TCP/IP Properties on both network adapters under Advanced/WINS tab and reboot both servers after doing so.

Time, date, time zone on both systems are identical?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:36 PM

All replies

• Can you spell out what your problem is a little more clearly?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 9:39 PM
  • So what happens, if you remote desktop or locally log in to one of the servers, click Start/Run and type \\servername (where server is the name of the other server)?

Assuming both machines got the same console password, you should now see the shares.

Olaf

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:46 PM
  • Both do have the same password...

From WHS2011 going to WHSv1 I get "Windows cannot access \\server"

From WHSv1 going to WHS2011 I get "The network location cannot be reached....\\server2"

I can access all the share on both WHS2011 & WHSv1 from my Laptop

Thanks for the help.

Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Does \\server\sharename work?

If not, does \\ipaddress\sharename?

If only the later works: Does your router assign an external DNS suffix - pointing DNS name resolution requests going to an external system? In this case that would be possible the reason.

Eventually you should enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the TCP/IP Properties on both network adapters under Advanced/WINS tab and reboot both servers after doing so.

Time, date, time zone on both systems are identical?

Olaf

Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:36 PM
  • It was the clock!!!!!  One time zone was off.  I would NEVER have looked into that.

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:46 PM