Excess tmp files RRS feed

• Question

• Vail is filling my TMP directory with hstfxx.tmp files.  What gives, one of my computers contained 22,000 of these files.  I delete them but they keep coming back at a rate of about 1 every 30 seconds.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:46 AM

All replies

• I don't think it's Vail; I have no files with names that fit that pattern.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 2:35 AM
  • I'd be very suspicious that you have picked up a virus or bit of malware from somewhere. 

Try a virus and malware scan of your machines. There are plenty of software options available to do the scanning. I tend to use Avast and malwarebytes as the main programs with others used as a double check as required.

Dave

• Edited by frogz1 Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:12 PM Must be Monday, typo's
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:11 PM
  • I am having the same problem on my Windows XP box with the Vail Connector installed.

I have ran a full scan with both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and they both came up clean.

I discovered the issue when the machine slowed to a crawl, after poking around I found that my Windows\Temp directory contained over 10,000 of these files.

I cleaned them out but sure enough they began to come back, I noticed things were especially worse after a restart.

There's barely anything installed on the system at the moment so I can't think of anything else that could be causing the issue, guess I'll remove the Vail bits and see what happens.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I have the same problem.If I  remove connector software it stops? Maybe Bug ? Also after connector software removal,I can delete all files in temp dir. These files are  in windows/temp .
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I also have theese files...havent noticed any problems though, just looked after reading theese posts.  Several tousand files in temp dir.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I'm now pretty sure this is to do with the Connector software for Vail.

I first confirmed the files were still being produced on the system by monitoring the Windows\Temp folder, you can actually watch them appear one-by-one, around every thirty seconds.

I then removed only the Connector software, and performed a reboot.

After the restart I then cleaned out the Windows\Temp directory, which contained around 10,000 of these files, and then restarted again.

Having used the same machine for nearly a week now, the Temp folder has remained clean apart from the normal wear and tear.

I have put off reinstalling the Connector software as this potential bug was crippling my 'Bedtop', as it only has 256MB RAM. As soon as the folder began to fill up, my machine would basically stop, and then crunch for several hours.

For me this is only happening on XP, it does not occur on my Windows 7 machine.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 12:09 AM
  • I too have over 55000 of them. All a copy of the "hosts" file. Doesn't seem to cause any performance issue, still very strange.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:45 AM
  • I'm still not convinced it's Vail that's the root of the issue, because not everyone has this problem, but has anyone submitted a bug on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:48 AM
  • 
    "Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message
    news:0deea327-39c7-4ebe-8bf0-ae37323c5468@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > I'm still not convinced it's Vail that's the root of the issue, because
    > not everyone has this problem, but has anyone submitted a bug on Connect?
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    ---
    I have 1,113 items in my Windows\Temp folder. I think I'm in agreement with
    you that they're not all going to be from Vail.

I would say that 99% of the files have little locks on them, which I don't
    understand.

I'm going to delete the temp files and see what happens later on.

If I disappear, it means I'm rebuilding my computer. :)
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:29 AM
  • 
    "Nancy Ward" <nlraines@nononohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:498b1334-1ea3-4018-af23-9dfa7e3221ba@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > 
    > "Ken Warren [MVP]" wrote in message
    > news:0deea327-39c7-4ebe-8bf0-ae37323c5468@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    >> I'm still not convinced it's Vail that's the root of the issue, because
    >> not everyone has this problem, but has anyone submitted a bug on Connect?
    >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    > ---
    > I have 1,113 items in my Windows\Temp folder. I think I'm in agreement
    > with
    > you that they're not all going to be from Vail.
    >
    > I would say that 99% of the files have little locks on them, which I don't
    > understand.
    >
    > I'm going to delete the temp files and see what happens later on.
    >
    > If I disappear, it means I'm rebuilding my computer. :)
    > --
    > Nancy Ward
    > Windows 8 Beta Ferret
    >
    >
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Nancy Ward
    ---
    There turned out to be 1190 items, counting the temp folders as well as
    files. I've done a *.temp and *.tmp search and come up with 0 hits. It's
    bedtime here, so I'll check tomorrow and see if there are more temp files.

Oh, and I guess I don't have to rebuild my computer. :)
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:33 AM
  • I installed the Connector program, files start piling up.  Removed it, no more accumulation

Seems to me its the Connector Program.

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:43 PM