What if ? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it fairly easy to perform "what if?" exercises in Money, i.e. to make changes and then discard them afterwards ?

Recently I assumed I could do this by making changes and then declining the invitation to back up the file on closing it, but it appeared to have been backed up - with the changes - after all.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:29 PM

All replies

• All changes are saved upon exiting.  The option for back-up only affects the backup file (mbf), not the main (mny) file.

I think the best way to accomplish what-ifs would be to make a couple of copies of your mny file and use those.   Might want to even rename those copies with the what-if scenario name.mny and remember, when you are done with your experiments, open the main file again so that Money will remember to use that file, rather than your copies.

• Proposed as answer by ameridan Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:02 PM
    • Edited by ameridan Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:01 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:01 PM
  • To switch between your what-if file and your real file, the MRU (most-recently used) list at the bottom of the File menu can be handy. The filename that you are currently using shows up in the bar at the top left of the window.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Thanks - I'll try that !
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for that !
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:49 PM