WHS & Itunes - Itunes on WHS is empty RRS feed

• Question

• Have gotten WHS working well for backups, websites, etc, but Itunes liabrary on WHS remains empty.  I've tried a variety of configurations and backups to no avail.  I suspect I am missing something simple.

Any sugestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:24 PM

Answers

• tuckernuck842 said:

Thanks Lara,

I don't see any setting to automatically copy music from client to server...Where would I find that?

When you installed the connector software from HP, it also installed two icons on your client desktop(s). One is the icon for the shared folders. The other is an icon that looks like your server and is titled "HP MediaSmart Server." 

1. Double click on that shortcut.
    2. Click on tools
    3. Click on Settings for iTunes
    4. The "Settings for iTunes" window will appear

"Enable the automatic copying of your iTunes music library and playists to your Server for sharing with all the iTunes enabled computers on your home network"

Select the setting that you want.

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    • Edited by Lara JonesModerator Monday, December 8, 2008 9:25 PM forums formatting is being weird. fixed formatting
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:16 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 9:24 PM

All replies

• tuckernuck842 said:

Have gotten WHS working well for backups, websites, etc, but Itunes liabrary on WHS remains empty.  I've tried a variety of configurations and backups to no avail.  I suspect I am missing something simple.

Any sugestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm assuming this is a HP MediaSmart Server and not a home built server on which you've installed firefly?

When you enable the iTunes server in the Windows Home Server console, does it stay enabled or does it 'disable' itself?

If the firefly/iTunes service is crashing then the iTunes server will not show up on your client when you launch iTunes. Is this what is happening? Or is the server there but no music?

If the server is there but no music:

1. Where is your music located?
    2. What type of music files are located on your server?

Thank you

Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Actually, I think he has a home-built server. See here.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:47 AM

• I'm assuming this is a HP MediaSmart Server and not a home built server on which you've installed firefly?

When you enable the iTunes server in the Windows Home Server console, does it stay enabled or does it 'disable' itself?

If the firefly/iTunes service is crashing then the iTunes server will not show up on your client when you launch iTunes. Is this what is happening? Or is the server there but no music?

If the server is there but no music:

1. Where is your music located?
    2. What type of music files are located on your server?

Thank you

A. Correct Assumption - I have the HP Mediasmart Server.
    B.  Itunes stays enabled
    C.  Music is only located on my client in iTunes Music folder ( C:\Users\sledgehammer\Music)
    d.  Using music purchased on iTunes

Monday, December 8, 2008 11:54 AM
  • tuckernuck842 said:

A. Correct Assumption - I have the HP Mediasmart Server.
    B.  Itunes stays enabled
    C.  Music is only located on my client in iTunes Music folder ( C:\Users\sledgehammer\Music)
    d.  Using music purchased on iTunes

Do you have the aggregator turned on to copy music from the client to the server? This is located in the Windows Home Server Console under the iTunes settings or if you want, you can simply copy your iTunes folder to \\<server>\music. I used the second option since my music directory is approaching 100GB.

The music must be located on the server.

If you are using DRM protected files from the ITMS, you will need to authorize each client that plays back music. Their are several workarounds for this one of which is to burn an audio CD within iTunes and then rip the CD in the file format of your choice.

Thanks

Monday, December 8, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Thanks Lara,

I don't see any setting to automatically copy music from client to server...Where would I find that?
    Monday, December 8, 2008 7:31 PM
  • tuckernuck842 said:

Thanks Lara,

When you installed the connector software from HP, it also installed two icons on your client desktop(s). One is the icon for the shared folders. The other is an icon that looks like your server and is titled "HP MediaSmart Server." 

1. Double click on that shortcut.
    2. Click on tools
    3. Click on Settings for iTunes
    4. The "Settings for iTunes" window will appear

"Enable the automatic copying of your iTunes music library and playists to your Server for sharing with all the iTunes enabled computers on your home network"

Select the setting that you want.

• Edited by Lara JonesModerator Monday, December 8, 2008 9:25 PM forums formatting is being weird. fixed formatting
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:16 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Thanks!

That helps a lot.  I was using the Windows Home Server Console.

Would be good to add a note in the setting there to let folks know how to do this.  Not intuitive.

Many thanks, Ernie
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:08 PM