none
HPC Pack 2008 R2 compatibility with Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using Windows Server 2008 R2 and  MSMPI from HPC Pack 2008 R2 in our cluster and due to hardware compatibility reasons we cannot upgrade to one of the newer versions.

Recently we acquired new development computers which came with Windows 10 operating system. In these computers, if we run an MPI application with n processes n different processes with rank 0 is executed, instead of n processes with ranks 0,1,2,3 .. n. We haven't run into this kind of issue with lower Windows OSes (We used Windows 8.1, Windows 8.0 and Windows 7 before).

I wonder if anyone experienced a similar issue or can direct us to a solution.

Thanks. 

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:37 AM

All replies

• I installed MSMPI from the Windows Server 2008 R2 SP4 installation package on Windows 10 Professional and ran mpipingpong with smpd running in the background (SDK mode), everything looks fine. Could you please answer the following questions so that we can dig deeper on your issue?

1. What's the exact version of your HPC Pack?

2. Are you launching your program via HPC Pack job submit or are you running mpiexec directly with smpd running in the background (SDK mode)?

3. Can you share the test program? Is the source code available?

4. Can you share the exact command line you used to submit the job or run mpiexec?

5. Can you share the output of your run? What's the MPI error?

Thanks,

Jeff

Monday, October 12, 2015 9:01 PM
  • You're right, there is no problem between Win10 and  MPI.

Further investigation revealed that INTEL MPI from MKL library was executing in the new machines instead of MSMPI in our scripts.

Thank for your reply.

TB.

Monday, October 19, 2015 8:54 AM
  • I'm glad you figured it out!
    Monday, October 19, 2015 7:12 PM