Can't get passed STOP: error for Process1_initialization_failed after initial setup RRS feed

• Question

• I made my first attempt at installing WHS Beta 2 last night on a MSI KT6 Delta FSA with AMD Althon XP 2600+, 1GB RAM, New WD2500JS 250 GB SATA, ATI X800 Radeon. I got through the initial setup and first reeboot after providing the VIA drivers for the SATA controller. I now keep getting a STOP error and can not do a recovery.

PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

STOP: 0x0000006B (0xC000003A, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I know the error is the SATA driver, I did select to install in Text Mode.
    Any ideas on how to force a clean install?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:34 PM

Answers

• I did know about the jumper, that was the only way the MB would see the drive, but I think the WinXP driver is the issue causing the blue screen. I'm going to see if anyone else has a VIA Windows 2003 Server version of the driver.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:21 PM
  • I was able to load the driver from a floppy, what a PAIN!!   I didn't even have a floppy drive in that box!! Anyway, up and running now, only need to configure the clients and test. 

Thanks

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hmm. Flipping through the list of drivers for your board on the MSI site, I don't see anything that says "Windows Server 2003". that could be a problem, though others have managed to get XP or Vista drivers working.

That said, I assume the driver you loaded is the RAID driver for your motherboard? You almost certainly don't need it. You only have one drive, and in all probability without it your MB will just show any disks connected as standard disk drives.

To recover, I would probably pull the drive and reformat it in another machine. There may be a better way; that's just the one that comes to mind first.

One driver that you should make sure you have available is the network driver. Many onboard NICs are apparently not directly supported in this beta, so you will probably have to load the NIC drivers yourself. You shouldn't need most of the other drivers (don't know about the 4-in-1).
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks for the response. That's what I was afraid of because I could not get the installer to see the drive till I loaded that XP driver for it. Well, that's a bummer because that was a new drive I bought for this beta!!   I do have the original 100 GB ATA drive that I had in that box before, I just need to backup what was on it first. Maybe I can find a cheap 300 GB ATA drive later.

Thanks  

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:28 PM
  • I believe this link has the answer to why you were unable to see the drive.  Your drive is a SATA II drive, and your motherboard SATA controller is SATA I, and is one of the listed controller chips on that page.

SATA II drives frequently have problems with SATA I controllers which can only be solved by slowing the drive down to SATA I speeds, which is what this jumper does. I have absolutely no clue why you were able to see the drive with the RAID driver loaded.

I hope this is helpful!
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Your WD2500JS 250 GB SATA drive has a jumper option to enable SATA 1 compatibility you can look at this diagram here.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341&p_sid=Dgo2fnvi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OCZwX3Byb2RzPTk1JnBfY2F0cz0xMjMmcF9wdj0xLjk1JnBfY3Y9MS4xMjMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1qdW1wZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Happy WHS Usage.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:14 PM
  • I did know about the jumper, that was the only way the MB would see the drive, but I think the WinXP driver is the issue causing the blue screen. I'm going to see if anyone else has a VIA Windows 2003 Server version of the driver.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:21 PM
  • I was able to load the driver from a floppy, what a PAIN!!   I didn't even have a floppy drive in that box!! Anyway, up and running now, only need to configure the clients and test. 

Thanks

Saturday, March 3, 2007 7:44 PM
  • I have an nForce2 mother board, and I needed to get the Silicon 3112 driver in.  I tried burning the drivers to CD and that didn't take. iPod via USB didn't work either. My next step was putting a floppy drive in the machine and then use the Windows XP driver disk that came with my mobo.   This didn't work, so I downloaded the drivers from the net and tried a different floppy.  Well, right before I tried this, I realized my iPod was still plugged in, so I unplugged that and the install FINALLY took.  I still got an error in the text portion of setup, but I hit a keyboard key and setup continued and I'm running WHS now :)
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:36 PM
  • I am having simlar issues I have tried various drivers from various sources can you tell me if you are booting up from your Sil 3112 controller If so can you provide me with a link to driver. I am using a USB key though to install my drivers maybe that is where I am going wrong.

Gigabyte GAK8nxp 939

2X 35 gig western digital raptors and 1 IDE drive which I want to use as storage drive

Any help will be apreciated.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:18 PM
  • Dont use raid was the final selution to this one
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:43 PM
  • I have had the same problem with an ASUS A7V880 motherboard.  It seems the error originates from the dos installation not having access to the SATA driver.  I set my USB key to run as a forced FDD in the bios and installed the files from it, that got passed the BSOD, but later in the installation it asked me for the floppy drive that the drivers were on and then wouldnt accept the enter command, most likely the emulation of the FD had been lost or it was conflicting with my original choice to let the driver be available when installing in text.

So i reinstalled from clean install, selected to NOT make driver available in text, and went through the process again.  This time the driver installed fine and the WHS installation continued.

Lesson learned, if the WHS doesnt support the sata driver generically then you must install the driver from floppy disk by pressing F6, or by forcing the USB to act as a FD.  Making it available in text does not work and causes the BSOD.

Hope this helps, it was bugging me for 2 days!

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Found another posting site that helped me and thought I would post here since these suggestions did not work for me...

Specs:

Asus A7N8X

Barton 3200 (not overclocked)

XFX 6800 XT (I know, this is a cheapy, but I got it about a month ago for AERO, only $75 with shipping, woot!)

Corsair XMS 3200 (matched pair, 2 GB total)

couple of mismatched IDE 200 GB drives, cd drive, dvdrw drive

Triple booting with 2000 Pro, XP Pro and Vista Ultimate, each OS had its' own partition

Was getting some weird BSOD messages on system that had been stable for about 3 months.

Tried a few different hard drives, boot off the vista install disk,  BSOD

Unplugged all HDD and just boot off the vista DVD, BSOD

(process1_initialization_failed)

Going through a process of elimination before I blamed ASUS, put in only one stick of memory, not sure what I hit to get a screen during DVD boot, mentioned windows memory test, gave it a try with first stick, almost immediately got "hardware error".  Tried with other stick, and two drives installed, (did not run the memory test) just like everything was normal and it did boot fine to XP, Vista and 2000.  Of course each of the OS's wanted to run a quick scan disk, which I did not protest.

All seems normal now, will be RMAing the bad stick to Corsair.

Good Luck!

The DAWG!

Friday, April 6, 2007 4:01 PM
  • Sometimes reseating the memory module works and the best way to test your system is to run memtest 86 for at least 24 h before you install os to make sure of system stability. then once os is install run another 24 h with prime 95. I normally run both tests for 72 h a bit ott but I want to make sure system is stable. Sometimes memtest shows all ok and stable but prime 95 fails that sometimes points to mobo or processor failure. but have fun and good luck.

O yeah dont set raid up it will most likely cause problems. run drives as seperates.

Friday, April 6, 2007 7:16 PM