WGA failing after reinstalling XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I don't understand why this is happening because I have wiped my hard drive previously and reinstalled everything from scratch without receiving this issue.

As I use a mobile 3G internet connection it was not possible to activate / register during XP installation.  I have used Windows Update and Microsoft Update dozens of times prior to wiping my hard disk and passed WGA many times.

My computer is a self build and I'm using an OEM XP Pro CD complete with SP2.  I decided on a fresh install as I wanted to remove the sql server express install that was having problems with its SP3 and wanted to have a cleaner config as there were other programs that I no longer needed.

WGA is reporting through the web UI from Microsoft Update that it fails due to the geographical region but I haven't moved unless previously it was installed with the defaults of US but I can't remember whether I was less fussy on previous installs not to have changed regional settings to the UK.

I don't know whether Windows is activated because I dont see the link in the programs menu and I've already registered on a previous installation to this PC so I don't know if I need to repeat that or where I would do it?

I have made a number of hardware changes over the years since previously installing XP, removed a faulty Pioneer CDRW SCSI drive, removed a 74 GB Seagate SCSI drive, removed dial up modem, installed a Highpoint Rocket RAID SATA controller card.  Still using the same PIII Xeon processors and memory though.

I have used the WGA diagnostic tool which shows the following on the Windows tab;
    I don't understand why the Product Key shown on this diagnostic doesn't match the one on my COA.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23617
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {AD4E2898-F15C-4384-BD8D-37007107D1BE}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{AD4E2898-F15C-4384-BD8D-37007107D1BE}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23617</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-162531612-1177238915</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To be Filled</Manufacturer><Model>To be Filled</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>063100</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19990115000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>698D363F01841D69</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hello J_UK,

OK, what we know so far is that you purchased what you thought was a Genuine systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer licensing kit for XP Pro and installed it on your self-built computer, and all was well WGA-wise until recently.

The CD received in this kit did the installation we are now examing, and that installation is a nonGenuine Volume Licensing installation of XP using a Geographically-blocked VL key.  This PK is turning up in many user postings to this forum as of late, for example http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/1f6997a6-fd54-4cf6-b5ab-c5a61979825a/

The PK on the CoA is not the same as the PK showing on the mgadiag report, 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY.

Next, please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase:

1.  Does the CD read "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left?  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers in two sections.  Please post the text of the second section of the file.

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/default.aspx and look at the links describing how to tell if your CoA is genuine or not.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:22 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, your installation of Windows XP is a counterfeit Volume License copy:

Windows License Type: Volume

This not an OEM installation.  Your disc may appear to state it is an OEM version, but it is not.

In order to correct your non-genuine issue, visit Genuine Microsoft Software and click on "Validate Windows".
    When validation fails, click on the "Get Genuine" button for details on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Hello J_UK,

Please use the Product Key (PK) Updater Utility http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 to change the PK from the current PK ending in 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY to the PK as printed on your CoA.

Then, rerun the mgadiag utility and post the fresh report.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Hi Dan

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried that although I don't understand why the CD would have something different to the COA but perhaps that is a result of it being counterfeit, if indeed it is.  I just get an error dialog from the Product Key updater saying "The product key entered is not a valid key for this system".  I don't understand if this is counterfeit why it hasn't shown up sooner than this as I've been using it for over 2 years and downloaded stuff like sql server express which is only for WGA certified users.  I also tried restoring the drive to a previous drive image which as I've said has always worked with MS Update hence I've never had cause to think that it wasn't genuine, but even the previous image fails WGA now with the same reason of region not appropriate.

Hi Carey

Thanks for your reply too although I can't tell you how shocked I was to read it.  I checked with a family member first as I wondered whether the CD could have got mixed up with theirs but that one is a Dell one so I know I definately have the right one.   I have now completed a Counterfeit Report as the CD looks genuine holographic type and just hope it doesn't take too long as I only have a partial install on this, my only PC at the moment.

Regards
    J

Monday, July 13, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Hello J_UK,

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or another version or edition of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

5.  Windows XP purchased in retail packaging will have the CoA on the retail package box top, and will have the Product Key on a yellow-orange label affixed to the CD holder folder inside the box.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, July 13, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Hi Dan,

The edition is XP Pro and the COA states "OEM Software".  It was shrink wrapped in polythene with a blue booklet when I bought it with the COA attached to the rear of the wrapper as part of a larger oblong sticker stating to affix this to the exterior of the PC. 

Regards
    J

Monday, July 13, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Hello J_UK,

OK, what we know so far is that you purchased what you thought was a Genuine systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer licensing kit for XP Pro and installed it on your self-built computer, and all was well WGA-wise until recently.

The CD received in this kit did the installation we are now examing, and that installation is a nonGenuine Volume Licensing installation of XP using a Geographically-blocked VL key.  This PK is turning up in many user postings to this forum as of late, for example http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/1f6997a6-fd54-4cf6-b5ab-c5a61979825a/

The PK on the CoA is not the same as the PK showing on the mgadiag report, 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY.

Next, please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase:

1.  Does the CD read "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left?  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers in two sections.  Please post the text of the second section of the file.

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/default.aspx and look at the links describing how to tell if your CoA is genuine or not.

Monday, July 13, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Hi Dan,

What you say appears to be correct.  The PK on my COA ends 8CBRG and doesn't resemble anything close to the one reported by the diag tool.

Unfortunately I can't examine the CD any longer as I have returned it to MS today along with the counterfeit report.  Its possible it could be a very thin label applied to the CD but I couldn't say for certain.  I remember the middle of the CD having a hologram around the whole.  The way it looked never gave me reason to suspect it not to be genuine.  I've checked out that link to "how to tell" that you posted and can't see an exact match to the COA.  The closest one is the one for "Small Manufacturer Pre Installed Windows COAs" on the main page not the previous versions.  However, mine is more of a kidney shape, has a silver holographic stripe of tape running through the middle, the colours are perhaps a little more pastel.

I have also checked out the seller on ebay who is no longer registered and seen some of the feedback comments people have posted since I purchased mine and it seems quite a few could have originated from this source.

Regards
    J

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Hello J_UK,

Thank you for submitting your materials and the report.  We have been told that it could take 4-6 weeks for the materials to be evaluated and for Microsoft to send you a complimentary copy if you qualify.

Please come back to the forum with a final post telling us how it turns out!  :-)

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Hi Dan

Received a parcel from MS but think I've received the wrong item.  Delivery note says Windows XP Pro but I got a DVD case that says Office Enterprise 2007.  Any one else experienced this, I've not broken the seal, I wonder if this also has the OS on it?

Regards
    J
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Hello J_UK,

Ooops, that sounds like somebody made a mistake!

I would be very surprised if the disc had Windows on it.  I'd not open it until you speak with somene at the link below.

Please select your region at this website and it will give you a phone number to call for further assistance:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/OrderHelp.aspx?displaylang=en  If no answer, you'll have to be patient until Monday ;-)
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:03 PM