WHS Backup and Jungle Disk RRS feed

Answers

• Wuala? Mesh? Cloudberry?
    Sneakernet. The cloud is great for lots of things, but mass storage isn't on the list...

The data on your server isn't fully protected by the server. You need to get a copy off site and regularly updated to protect against disasters like fire, flood, major storm damage, theft, etc. Now, you can certainly back up to/through the cloud (though it make take a very long while). Restoring your data is another kettle of fish entirely. I have a relatively small amount of data (by Windows Home Server standards) that I would want protected this way: about 1.5 TB. To restore that data from the cloud would require saturating my internet connection for about a week, assuming no bottlenecks other than the available bandwidth from my ISP. And my ISP would cut me off about 1/3 of the way in, even though I have a business plan, because they impose a global monthly bandwidth cap (that they don't publicize).

Use the backup tool built into the product, or a custom method that you prefer, to get your data onto external storage, and swap the on site drive with an off site drive regularly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:18 PM

All replies

--
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:19 AM
  • I've been using KeepVault. It seems pretty good. Tim
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:42 PM
    Sneakernet. The cloud is great for lots of things, but mass storage isn't on the list...

The data on your server isn't fully protected by the server. You need to get a copy off site and regularly updated to protect against disasters like fire, flood, major storm damage, theft, etc. Now, you can certainly back up to/through the cloud (though it make take a very long while). Restoring your data is another kettle of fish entirely. I have a relatively small amount of data (by Windows Home Server standards) that I would want protected this way: about 1.5 TB. To restore that data from the cloud would require saturating my internet connection for about a week, assuming no bottlenecks other than the available bandwidth from my ISP. And my ISP would cut me off about 1/3 of the way in, even though I have a business plan, because they impose a global monthly bandwidth cap (that they don't publicize).

Use the backup tool built into the product, or a custom method that you prefer, to get your data onto external storage, and swap the on site drive with an off site drive regularly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:18 PM