USB drives - "capacity" and "used space" unequal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just got into the test series for USB drives. Connecting the USB via external adapter was done fast, the system detection was executed with no problems.

For a fast test I took a spare Seagate ST3120026A, 120GB brutto.

After adding this drive to the pool via WHC-Console GUI a requester was telling me:

• 111,79GB capacity
    • 86,13GB used space

ok, the difference between brutto and netto output is well known, but the above difference...: 25,66GB is a lot of downsizing. What for?

The capacity is a part of the GUI, I would like to see the used space also.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:22 PM

Answers

• My guess is that some of your folders are now marked "duplicate", so your file system is using more space than it was before you put on the drive.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:23 PM

All replies

• My guess is that some of your folders are now marked "duplicate", so your file system is using more space than it was before you put on the drive.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:23 PM
  • More information about the drives is available in the API. The dev team decided (probably to simplify the interface) not to expose the additional information to the end user through the console, though.

It would be possible for an add-in developer to do so, of course.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:30 PM
  •  jkcarroll wrote:
    My guess is that some of your folders are now marked "duplicate", so your file system is using more space than it was before you put on the drive.

Hello jkcarroll, the requester and the indicated data were visible before I even could mark a share for duplication. So it must be something different. Maybe a bug or a visible GUI-feature?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:57 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    More information about the drives is available in the API. The dev team decided (probably to simplify the interface) not to expose the additional information to the end user through the console, though.

Hello Ken, If I am snoopy for some additional data while the system is on duty this is ok. There might be a lot of freaks who will get some code together.

But this is not the explanation of the nebulosity to the tune of 25,66GB while adding a 112GB netto drive. This vanished space reaches almost 23% !! and that is a lot, don't you think so too?. (Project this to a 750GB... this would be a about 150GB). Special cause we are on beta I would like to have a logical statement for verifing.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:24 PM
  • I think you're going to have to do some digging through the mount points on the C: drive to find out what data is actually on what disk.

But I have to wonder where, exactly, you're seeing those numbers. You seem to be claiming the WHS console, but the console doesn't expose disk utilization statistics on a per drive level. The Server Storage pie chart is very clearly only an overall view of your storage pool.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:43 PM
  • I am just removing the drive, this will take a while. After that, I will try to replicate the steps to the "seen numbers". If it works and I get the same result I will  screenshot and document a Call on Connect.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:26 AM
  • I got more than problems while to trying to remove the USB-Box... does not work. I did remove the duplication in a second attempt.

It starts to remove but never ends the szenario. When loggin in at WHS Console directly a requester pops up "try to reboot or install  new"..., etc, etc

any hints? Thanks..

Guess I will write a Call on Connect.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:01 PM
  •  

Hello Ken, with the CTP the same. My guess, it must be something for the management of the drive.

where to find:

• add a new drive
    • it is the requester were the new hard drive properties will show up.
      • name
      • status
      • used space 78,35GB
    • this requester has a "done" button to finish the adding procedure

if you wish I can mail you a screenshot...

Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:39 PM